Getting a CompactLogix L32E to communicate with a Fire Alarm Control Panel

auto_macs

Hi guys
I'm working on this project:
There's a Fire Alarm system installed in a plant that we want to communicate with using a CompactLogix L32E. The Fire Alarm system is from Honeywell, a NFS-320E Fire Alarm Control Panel that uses a NCM-W module to communicate with other panels distribuited all over the plant. We have installed a Modbus Gateway module that connects the NCM-W to a ethernet switch to which the CompactLogix is connected to. I think that it's possible to communicate with the Modbus Gateway module if I add it as a "Generic Ethernet Module" but other than the IP address, I don't know how to condigure it like, what do I put in the "Assembly Instance" under Connection Parameters and what kind of communication format should I use? I know that some devices are built witha specific map defined by the manufacturer and others allow for a customa map to be configured. I know that the gateway uses16-bit registers but that's about it. I'm not an expert when It comes to Modbus so any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. This link offers iniformation about the gateway:
http://www.notifier.com.au/assets/Manuals/54015 - Modbus Gateway.pdf
hope this serves as a starting point.

I agree, you have translated the fire panel protocol to modbus registers, now you need a protocol converter to read the modbus registers into the Compactlogix Taglist. Prosoft has a module that works well for this, translating /swapping the bytes is sometimes a chore but not difficult.

Third vote for Prosoft module, their software is solid and they have good support (check the video section from the link Widelto provided and you'll see a complete walkthrough) . I'm definitely interested in that other box he suggested, never used it but it sounds promising.

Last edited:
The Prosoft module is real easy to use and there tech support is great.
Allen-Bradley also has sample code to use the Logix PLC to talk Modbus TSP. I have tried it and it does work but it's pretty complicated and has a ton of code with it.

Hey!
Ya'll mention that I needed a converter for my application, but the Modbus Gateway comes with a utility that lets me set an IP address and log into a webpage to configure it and it automatically maps the nodes associated with the FACP:

"The Modbus Gateway provides a communication link between networks
that use the Modbus/TCP communication protocol and Fire Alarm Control Panels
(FACPs) resident on an NFN network.
The NFN network communicates with the Modbus Gateway through a NOTI-FIRE-NET
network via the network port on any NCM.
The Modbus communication protocol is consistent with Modbus Application
Protocol Specification V1.1b.
The Modbus Gateway Configuration Tool, a programming utility included with the
Modbus Gateway assembly, is used to configure the Modbus Gateway. The
Modbus Gateway is designed to need very little configuration. In most applications
you will only need to enter the TCP/IP settings for your network and the nodes
you would like to monitor. The gateway will automatically map all the configured
points and supply you with a user friendly comma separated value report that defines
the mapping."

Like I said, I just don't know what to put in the "Connection Parameters" when creating the Generic Ethernet Module.
There's a total of 2 FACPs, one with 11 Devices associated (smoke detectors, sirens, etc) and the other has 33 devices associated. They are connected like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SAfrW1GZv6-pe8ztPZCE40f_WguGNJeR/view?usp=sharing

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Yes, it maps the FACP datapoints into Modbus register format. But you still need to read the modbus registers and that requires another conversion.

The webpage you reference allows you to configure the module and put whatever datapoints from the FACP into whatever modbus register you want and also to set that devices IP and it seems that you can also download CSV files of this data using your browser. They need to provide some method to do all that and browser is the most common. But that's where it ends.

You will need to do a similar config with the Prosoft module to get the modbus registers into your PLC.

Assembly, Instance, etc are parameters used when communicating to a device over Ethernet I/P (not the same thing as "Ethernet") using the CIP protocol and if this device doesn't support CIP you cant connect to it that way. ModbusTCP is not CIP, it's Modbus. Different animal. If it does support Eth I/P (CIP) it will say so in the manual and give you the info you need.

thank you all for your responses, I now understand more about communication protocols and that I DO need a Modbus TCP/IP to Ethernet/IP converter. now I just hahve to break it down to my boss in hope that he doesn't get mad about having to spend a couple more hundreds to get this project running.

thank you all for your responses, I now understand more about communication protocols and that I DO need a Modbus TCP/IP to Ethernet/IP converter. now I just hahve to break it down to my boss in hope that he doesn't get mad about having to spend a couple more hundreds to get this project running.

That's his problem though, not yours!