Help!! slc5/04 communication issue, OEM fiasco

Elijah58

Hi Guys,
I need some help with a machine that has an SLC 5/04 communicating with a wonderware panel over DH485. I can monitor the logic while the machine is stopped via RS232 but, as soon as you start the machine, comms to RS232 are lost and 485 takes over. Machine will not run with panel disconnected. So monitoring logic while machine is running is not happening. Any ideas?
Thaks,
Eli

Describe exactly how all the parts are connected together.
Your PC, the SLC5/04, the wonderware panel, AIC+ (if any), NET-AIC (if any), other panels, etc...

The hardware does not change itself from RS232 to RS485.
So what do you mean by "comms to RS232 are lost and 485 takes over" ?
Maybe you mean that CH0 changes from DF1 to DH485 by itself, or ... ?
As far as I know, an SLC5/04 cannot change the operating mode of its integrated ports any other way than changing the configuration and downloading it to the CPU.

Which protocol are you using in RSLogix500 to connect to the SLC5/04 ?

I have never seen what you are saying before... are you sure?

You are saying you are connected to the PLC and once the machine starts you get bumped off?

You also need to check your numbers again, the 5/04 does not have a DH485 port, you can change the DB9 to DH485 but that would not make sense that the HMI is using the "DH"

Is it a 5/03 or 5/04?
Can you post the .rss?

I have never seen what you are saying before... are you sure?

You are saying you are connected to the PLC and once the machine starts you get bumped off?

You also need to check your numbers again, the 5/04 does not have a DH485 port, you can change the DB9 to DH485 but that would not make sense that the HMI is using the "DH"

Sorry guys but, I am going off what I am being told by the guy that has worked on it before. He said that the OEM, when they come in have to view the i/o's through the wonderware (which I don't have access to) and then if they need to make a change they have to stop the machine and connect to the PLC and make the change with the processor stopped. I have also never heard of anything like this but want to have my thoughts together before I go and jump into it.

Oh and sorry, HMI is connected to DH+ (and not 485) and also another machine plc is connected here as well. The engineer said that they have tried many times but, as soon as the machine is started the connection is lost. Just wondering if anyone has an idea before I start.
Thanks,
Eli

It is a noise/grounding issue

edit: Just a little rant, what made you say "comms to RS232 are lost and 485 takes over" ?
A lot of peoples time were wasted answering on that.

Last edited:
For DH+ you can jump on the same network and see them all if you have the correct cable 1784-U2DHP

I dont think you would get bumped off the RS232/DB9 so I would check that one for myself before I listen to anyone, check to see with a scope if JesperMP is correct, I still have never ran across it before.

It is a noise/grounding issue

edit: Just a little rant, what made you say "comms to RS232 are lost and 485 takes over" ?
A lot of peoples time were wasted answering on that.

Sorry, it was a mistake, it should have said "comms to RS232 are lost and DH+ to the HMI is the only one working"
Thanks,
Eli