FactoryTalk View SE Studio 6.0 & Client on a Window 7 Pro 64 bit machine

agarb

This combination is not officially supported by Rockwell. Has anybody successfully ran it? Perhaps in the XP virtual machine that comes with Windows 7?

I misread the compatibility matrix on the Rockwell website and thought FactoryTalk View would work with 64 bit Windows. :mad:

It will definately work in a VMware VM using XP SP3. Haven't tried it yet under W7 32 bit.

OK, using the XP virtual machine that came with windows 7, I installed the software, but when I try to run it I get a message saying, "FactoryTalk View cannont run on this computer because the FT Directory has not been configured. To configure the directory, run the FT Directory Configuration Wizard from the Windows Start Menu."

When I run the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard I get this error, "The FactoryTalk Directory cannot be configured from a remote client. Run the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard from a Windows console computer instead."

Looks like I will start researching VMWare.

You need to disable the "integration features" of your virtual PC in order to configure the Factory Talk Directory

The PC I ordered came with the option of an XP Pro downgrade. The PC manufacturer is sending me the media at no charge but it will be 3-8 business days after the order processes. :mad:

In the meantime, I am currently downloading a VMWare trial.

VMWare Player is a free downlaod. You can then use their converter software to covert a Virtual PC image into a VM image. Works pretty well, and you don't need to purchase the full VM Workstation.

Although, if you like it Workstation does have tools that Player doesn't, so it's worth the license IMO.

Paully's5.0 - Thanks for the info!

I disabled the integration features and the software seems to be running. This will let me forge ahead on my existing project.

Also thanks for the info on VMWare. Would I need the full workstations to be able to copy virtual machines, etc? I am needing to get a new laptop and think it would be a valuable tool to be able to copy a VM before installing new software. Would also like to keep my Siemens/Rockwell/AutomationDirect stuff all segregated! My existing laptop has struggled with various interactions from time to time.

You can copy and move files without a problem. (Using VMWare Player).

Workstation does have a "clone" feature which is very useful to do the same thing.

Sounds good for development but how about ME?

For us ME users:

Does the VM Player allow for unfettered access to ethernet and serial for file transfers to Panelviews? I am guessing not but hoping so.

For us ME users:

Does the VM Player allow for unfettered access to ethernet and serial for file transfers to Panelviews? I am guessing not but hoping so.

I have not had any trouble with Ethernet transfers to panelviews, I have not had a need to use serial.

Don't see why it wouldn't work UNLESS your host PC has control of the com port.

I have FactoryTalk View SE running on the XP VM that comes with windows 7, but not sure how to set up my networking. I can ping my PLC from the command line in Windows 7, but not the VM.

Under the VM settings, do I want "shared" option or the one that looks like my network card name? I want my PC to have a fixed IP address... does this need to be set in windows 7 and also the VM? It complained when I tried to set them the same (with the "shared" option) Then I tried setting them so the address were one digit different and I still couldn't ping from the VM.

I have FactoryTalk View SE running on the XP VM that comes with windows 7, but not sure how to set up my networking. I can ping my PLC from the command line in Windows 7, but not the VM.

Under the VM settings, do I want "shared" option or the one that looks like my network card name? I want my PC to have a fixed IP address... does this need to be set in windows 7 and also the VM? It complained when I tried to set them the same (with the "shared" option) Then I tried setting them so the address were one digit different and I still couldn't ping from the VM.

I always use the NAT option for Ethernet on my VMs. The VM essentially piggy-backs onto the local host settings. So set your static control network on your host machine and don't touch the VM. You should be able to ping from both the host and VM.

I always use the NAT option for Ethernet on my VMs. The VM essentially piggy-backs onto the local host settings. So set your static control network on your host machine and don't touch the VM. You should be able to ping from both the host and VM.

I set the host machine to 192.168.85.131 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Selected the NAT (shared) option. I can ping my PLC from the host, but not the VM. When I do ipconfig from the VM the ip address is 192.168.131.65. What am I missing?

PLC ip address is 192.168.85.135 with subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I set the host machine to 192.168.85.131 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Selected the NAT (shared) option. I can ping my PLC from the host, but not the VM. When I do ipconfig from the VM the ip address is 192.168.131.65. What am I missing?

PLC ip address is 192.168.85.135 with subnet of 255.255.255.0.

Is your VM setup with a static IP? Or is it setup at DHCP?

Is your VM setup with a static IP? Or is it setup at DHCP?

I had it set to assign an ip address automatically, but if I understand your previous post properly, shouldn't it have piggy-backed on the host address?

I'm really not sure where it obtained the address.

Last edited: