FX2N-80MT plc upgrade

Yacineg

Hi there new user here.

I have been assigned the task of upgrading the plc of a small machine. The machine is old & has a Mitsubishi FX2N-80MT plc.

I don't have the logic backup & this is where I am now stuck. How do i get the logic off the plc ? i.e what programming software do I use ? what is the comm protocol ? what type of comm cable is required ? The platform we are upgrading to is the AB Micrologix 1400 series.

Thanks for your time.☯

If you are upgrading then I suggest you use the later FX3U, this is 100% compatible with the older FX. (I think the pinout of the I/O is slightly different but not by much, the cables will fit because the pinout is only one or two locations different. or even the later FX5, however, never done an FX5 conversion however, If you take a copy of the older FX, change PLC type to FX3U (works almost the same) and save it, then open GXWorks3 open other project and import it, select new bus mode and it will convert it to an FX5.
I do suggest if you are going to upgrade then get either GXWorks2 or preferably GXWorks3 (so you can upgrade to the latest FX5). The SC09 cable works well an many USB to 232 converters.

Thank you for answering my query. The Engineering executive at the plant wants a uniform automation platform throughout the plant, so we have no easy way out. We will have to convert from Mitsubishi to AB.

Should be no problem, GX Developer & SC09 cable will be fine, the best way is to upload the program, if you can get the drawings then create the symbols in GXDeveloper for the I/O at least, then print it out including a cross reference. This can give you a good platform for converting the code to AB.

You could better choose a more modern family of controllers, some Micrologix models have already been removed from the catalog and others will follow.

Better to use Micro800 controllers, although I also suggest that you better stick with Mitsubishi.

although I also suggest that you better stick with Mitsubishi.

I agree, just buy a newer Mitsubishi and keep on using it... its given you years of service so no reason to spend the money to convert the program and you will also only need to buy one software package

Your suggestion is on the spot, but this guy has stockpiled a whole lot of ML-1400s. This conversion is just the first step. They have planned to build a plant wide data acquisition system based on AB platform.

Yacineg said:
I don't have the logic backup & this is where I am now stuck. How do i get the logic off the plc ? i.e what programming software do I use ? what is the comm protocol ? what type of comm cable is required ? The platform we are upgrading to is the AB Micrologix 1400 series.

Everyone told you what you need... you may even find a copy of GX Developer and that would work, here is the how with a USB cable

Mitsubishi SC09 and SC09-FX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFtgX-vs5Q

If you use the SC09 cable with GXDeveloper just create a new project same processor i.e. FX2N C or what ever yours is, goto On-line/Transfer Setup Double click Serial/USB Change the com port to your com port, leave the default Baud etc. press connection test, it should confirm you can go on-line.
Then go back to 0n-line, Read from PLC, select the tick boxes for parameter, program and
device memory (best to upload a copy of the Data memory registers (usually called MAIN this may contain values used within the program).
Providing there is no password it should upload, save the file.
Note: if you tick upload comment there may be no comments and will fail, so only tick the others leave comments you can always try to upload them after uploading the plc parameters, program & device memory.

Without comments, almost every application with more than 2000 steps is easier to build new than to decrypt. I've been asked many times to unpassword many different PLCs, and it was 100% success, but when I give code to the customer, without comments and labels, it is different story.

Yes GXIEC can be a problem, it depends on the way it was programmed and how the original programmer wrote it, there could be lots of memory bits in the 9000 range used (GXIEC often did some weird logic where a string of ANDS would actually put some on temporary bits then use those bits to drive other bits etc}. I have also seen uploads of GXIEC where the logic does not connect (LADDER Mode) This means it will not re-compile, however, in Statement mode it will work. The other possibility if done in GXIEC is that the project was downloaded to the PLC so it could be re-constructed, however, I have never done this on an FX if it is possible, the A & Q series would have enough memory providing the program was not too large, but again I don't know of many programs done in IEC where this has been the case.