AB SLC 5/04 Connection Issues

DO NOT choose "Shutdown" for a channel setting! That is like locking your keys in the car.

While online, perforam a File Save As... and give it a meaningful name. That will save all of the programming and data in the controller. This will allow you to put it back exactly as found in case you screw something up.

Then change the serial port options. When you apply the changes, it will either kick you offline and make you download the changes, or make the changes and then kick you offline. In either case, once that change is applied on the port to which you are connected, then you must change the RSLinx driver to use the new "normal" settings.

Unless you intend to use the machine as a polling master, I would recommend to go ahead and change the serial port settings. Doing that first will make all future editing and monitoring much easier. Just take your time and read all of the pop-up warnings carefully. Changing port settings will not affect the PLC functionality, and some changes can be applied to the serial port while in RUN mode without interrupting operations. Other changes require putting the PLC in PROGRAM mode.

Once you have the serial port changes made and you are happy, do another File Save As with a new name that you can use going forward.

The DH+ port settings don't really matter unless you intend to add this machine to a DH+ network or use a DH+ interface for programming.

Well, now that I am able to connect, and I have a copy of the program sent to me, I would like to compare what's in the PLC and what I have on the laptop. No mater what I do, The "Compare" function under tools is grayed out. If it matters, I have RSLogix 500 starter version 8.20

Well, now that I am able to connect, and I have a copy of the program sent to me, I would like to compare what's in the PLC and what I have on the laptop. No mater what I do, The "Compare" function under tools is grayed out. If it matters, I have RSLogix 500 starter version 8.20

That's your issue, starter does not have that feature.

You need "Standard" or "PRO" version.

That's what I was thinking, I thought that the version would just not install that menu item not gray it out. Any idea on the price difference between the two versions? I'm hoping it might be an upgrade not a whole new package. I really don't want to get the local AB dealer involved if I don't have to.

Well everybody, I heard back from my friendly AB Dealer andthe Pro version of the software (there is no upgrade) I need to do the Comparefunction is the price of a fine used automobile. Since I am in the packagingprinting business and not a full time electrician the software is a bit much. Iwas thinking that I could post the 2 files on the forum and someone on theforum could Compare the 2 files and getback to me. I would gladly pay for the service, perhaps paypal or something similar.Let me know if anyone is interested.

Well everybody, I heard back from my friendly AB Dealer andthe Pro version of the software (there is no upgrade) I need to do the Comparefunction is the price of a fine used automobile. Since I am in the packagingprinting business and not a full time electrician the software is a bit much. Iwas thinking that I could post the 2 files on the forum and someone on theforum could Compare the 2 files and getback to me. I would gladly pay for the service, perhaps paypal or something similar.Let me know if anyone is interested.

PM me your email address, I'll see if I can get you a compare print out.