Directlogic PLC output troubleshooting

zacherypost

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone,
Background: We have a Directlogic 405 PLC that has an output card that has all solenoids on it. These solenoids are on plugs with LED indicators showing their state. It is a Triac based output card D4-16TA
The problem: All the solenoids on this output card have their LED illuminated showing an on state when they should be de-energized. A voltage test shows 16VAC from output to neutral. When the output gets energized, the solenoid does not change states. DMM shows 130VAC to neutral in this state.
Failed solutions: We have swapped the output card and changed the PLC backplane. I've added resistors up to 30kohms in series and parallel. Relanded every neutral on the terminal block strip. What else should we be looking for?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yikes. The solenoid coils should have sufficient draw to pull down the leakage without adding resistors, so your LEDs should NOT be lit. Many times, indicators behaving "funny" can be caused by a problem in the common return connection, be it AC or DC. Solenoids not changing state also points to a connection problem. I would only suggest, to make sure that your plug-in connectors and coils are properly wired internally AND connected back to neutral. And your terminal strip also is actually connected back to the neutral, no missing or loose jumpers. Stuff happens. :D

Last edited:
simple test would be to jumper from know good source to output terminal(120VAC), does solenoid work? if it does not then either a neutral problem or bad solenoid.
If it works then you have a problem with output. To check output common 120 vac find know good neutral and measure from there to output common power source, if that measures good then you have a problem with output card or PLC

Quick update. The equipment had an hour of d/t today. I swapped the PLC output card and terminal block and the problem continues. Disconnected an effected solenoid jumper from known 120vac source to isolated solenoid, and solenoid fired. Hmmmm(n)