Panelview slow to change screens

LessThanThree

We have been having problems with one of our panelview plus 7 – 1000 hmi screens. When pressing the GO TO screen button the system will continue showing the current screen for a few seconds before switching to the new screen. The problem is pretty consistent when switching to any screen. The HMI is from 2015 using a runtime v7.0 program. The freezes/hang ups are not critical but a significant annoyance.

I’m wondering if this is more likely a panelview hardware issue, a networking issue, or something else?

If I get an opportunity when the line is down I plan to swap out panelviews with a spare to see if the issue follows to help narrow it down. Reserving line time for an annoyance issue is difficult.

If I do narrow it down to a panelview issue is there anything that can be tried before buying a new hmi?

Some additional details:
- When I launch a copy of the hmi and run it on my laptop the screen changes respond instantly which leads me to think it is not a network problem.
-We have the same program and theoretically the same networking on nine lines in the facility. Only one line is giving us problems.
-Each screen shows the system time taken from the panelview system/time variable. This number typically counts up each second but every 30 seconds or so will stall and jump ahead 3 seconds. These stalls are independent of the screen change delays.
-Each screen also shows the machine phase 0-360 read from the plc. This number updates consistently even when the hmi hangs up.
-It seems that if the button to change the screen is pressed multiple times rapidly the screen takes longer to update. For example pressing once changes the screen in three seconds. Rapidly clicking the button can make it take 8-10 seconds. It acts like if you were hitting refresh constantly on a slow loading website.

Hi,

I had similar problem in the past. And my problem was driven by big graphics saved as png or jpg not as bmp.

After converiting those graphics to bmp format application started to work properly.

P

Thanks for the suggestions.

I checked and all the tags are direct address such as {[PLC]machine_speed}

There are many pictures on the screens but I verified they are .bmp format.

Has it always been like that or did it recently start acting sluggish?

It is possible the HMI is busy updating tags and doesn't have a lot of time available to process screen changes.

Are there any scripts running? How many alarms are defined? How rapidly are you asking tags to be updated? All of the above consume resources that could otherwise be used to process screen changes. Scripts may run more frequently than necessary. In general the HMI only updates the tags that are linked to objects on the displayed screen, but tags associated with alarms need to be updated all the time. Excessive alarms can slow things down. Asking to update tags too frequently can build up a buffer of data requests.