Usage Column Logix 5000

Tim Ganz

How can I use the usage column in Logix 5000 v20? In the tag editor it is grayed out or is there a better way to see what tags are used in the program short of doing and xref on each one? The usage column is grayed out in the monitor and edit tab.

Go to Controller Tags (or Program Tags if you want to see Program Tags usage). Go to the top of the window where it says Show. Click on the dropdown menu. Select Configure. Select Filter On Unused. Click Ok. This will show only Unused tags

From the RSLogix 5000's help:

Usage. Available only for an Add-On-Instruction and Equipment Phase scope. For Add-On Instructions, usage is Local, Input, Output or InOut. For Equipment Phase tags, usage is Input, Output, or Normal. The default usage for an Add-On Instruction tag is Local, and the default Usage for an Equipment Phase tag Normal. Usage appears dimmed for members of tags.
So "usage" is not "cross reference". If you want to do a cross reference, select the tag (in the tag monitor or in the logic and press CTRL+E).