PROFIBUS device configuration using a PLC

arbj

Hi,

I have interfaced my product (which uses a proprietary serial RS 232 protocol) to a PROFIBUS-DP network using a PROFIBUS-DP Serial Gateway device from HMS. The gateway device is identified as a slave device on the PROFIBUS-DP network.

I have configured the gateway device to send and receive commands from my product. The gateway device works on the principle of address mapping.

The memory in the gateway device is divided in INPUT and OUTPUT areas. The addresses in the OUTPUT data are written to by the PROFIBUS-DP master in the network, whereas the INPUT area is written to by my product. When data is written to a specific address the gateway device identifies which command is associated with the address and so generates the appropriate command to my product. The response from my product is written to the INPUT area associated with the command, thus completing the transfer of data to and from my product.

My questions are as follows..

1. Is it possible for the PLC to get a list of addresses used by the gateway device ?? I use a PROFIBUS master simulator device to test my network and this device is able to get all the addresses mapped to commands in the gateway device, but is this also possible with a PLC ??

If not do I have to provide a list of addresses used to my customer ??

2. The gateway device has a GSD file, will this file be needed for installation on the PROFIBUS network, also how will my customers know which addresses are used for what purpose...?
3. I know MODBUS devices need to have proper documentation of various addresses used, Is this also necessary with a PROFIBUS device such as mine ?
4. Could anyone give more details on the purpose of using a GSD file, and what it contains ???

Thanks
a

1. Is it possible for the PLC to get a list of addresses used by the gateway device ?? I use a PROFIBUS master simulator device to test my network and this device is able to get all the addresses mapped to commands in the gateway device, but is this also possible with a PLC ??

If not do I have to provide a list of addresses used to my customer ??
PLC can access input/output memory areas of gateway device.
All you need to configure communication is gsd file provided by manufacturer of gateway device.

2. The gateway device has a GSD file, will this file be needed for installation on the PROFIBUS network, also how will my customers know which addresses are used for what purpose...?
Yes, gsd file is needed for installation.
Your customers wont know what information is in what address unless you give them documentation.

3. I know MODBUS devices need to have proper documentation of various addresses used, Is this also necessary with a PROFIBUS device such as mine ?
Yes
4. Could anyone give more details on the purpose of using a GSD file, and what it contains ???
Gsd file contains information about dp device capabilities, device configuration parameters. But in your case gsd file is related only to gateway, not to your product.

Gsd file contains information about dp device capabilities, device configuration parameters. But in your case gsd file is related only to gateway, not to your product.

So documentation regarding the addresses used in the gateway must also be provided with the GSD file of the gateway ?? Is there any standard format for the documentation ??

Another query regarding data types..

My product needs to use 16 bit data, say a value like 1000 (decimal), so in what format will a PLC most likely transfer 16 bit data...in hexadecimal format or in packed BCD format ??

In the above example in hex the values would be 03 E8 and in packed BCD it would be 10 00

thanks
a

So documentation regarding the addresses used in the gateway must also be provided with the GSD file of the gateway ?? Is there any standard format for the documentation ??
Address is usually presented in table format with offset, information name and scaling information if needed.
Another query regarding data types..

My product needs to use 16 bit data, say a value like 1000 (decimal), so in what format will a PLC most likely transfer 16 bit data...in hexadecimal format or in packed BCD format ??

In the above example in hex the values would be 03 E8 and in packed BCD it would be 10 00
Most plcs can handle both formats binary and bcd.