But is it possible to write and compile code like
C/C++ compile it and load it into the PLC without
the use of the proprietary software and if yes
how do we go about doing that.

Thanks
Carvo

I would think that one would have to be intimately familiar with how the
vendors software creates the codes for the PLC, and the protocols for
communicating and sending the programs and datums to the PLC.

For, say Allen Bradley . . . if one has and 'reverse engineers' the RSLogix
software, RSLynx, etc. etc. it could be done.

But would it be worth the cost?
Poet.

But would it be worth the cost?

Doubt it but.... if I were going to try I would use a PLC that works with CodeSys as its a open source software so that would be your best easier option and I do sell a lot of trainers to companies that hack into them for teaching security software, not sure exactly how they do it but if you can hack into one and run the I/O manually I would think you could also modify the program, most of them buy Siemens or Allen Bradley trainers

Dear All,

I have some experience working with PLC's using the
software provided by their vendors.
But is it possible to write and compile code like
C/C++ compile it and load it into the PLC without
the use of the proprietary software and if yes
how do we go about doing that.

Thanks
Carvo

Some brands let you run C/C++ code in their special processors so you can put that code alongside the normal code. I think Siemens is 1518-ODK... and previously (like ages ago) they had their M7 controller. And the M7 controller could be fully programmed in C/C++, but was a nightmare to deal with because it wasn't standard and only a couple of guys from a certain company dealt with it. The case I had, most people quit from the company as they were pigeonholed over that project and I believe only one remained (which I think was the first to be promoted out of that area).

If you are bound and determined to use C/C++ then you would probably want to go with an actual MCU board. I think developing the hardware to interface with the industrial sensor standards would be easier then trying to figure out how a manufacturer does things. Each PLC has its own IDE, with its own specific libraries written for its hardware that handles the vast majority of the low level stuff.

That being said, I would not want any closed-hardware/software machine like that in a production facility. You need to remember that its the maintenance guys working on this stuff most of the time, and very few of them can read C or C++ code. The manufacturer IDE's for PLC's have specific tools to allow for easy visual debugging and troubleshooting on their hardware, or to modify existing systems.

Good luck!

Your time and effort may not be worth it to reproduce what the manufacturer has already put in place.
An alternative is to use a generic program that uses step or indirect logic and change the sequence of operation through communication to the PLC memory.
Just a thought.
Regards,