Recommended 2nd Tier PLC Platforms

DrewE

The company I work for is a bit of a start-up and cannot afford to play with the big dogs like AB and Siemens. We currently use CodeSys running on Wago PLCs but my experience with AB leads me to believe that there must be another tier of PLC/HMI platforms between AB and CodeSys. Can anyone provide me with some recommendations for reliable PLC/HMI platforms that outperform CodeSys but don't require the investment of AB?

Look at Automation Direct and the Productivity Series of PLC's.
This entire family of controllers consist of the P1000, P2000 and P3000. The capability and amount of I/O differ as you increase in size.
They share a common programming package called Productivity Suite. This is a free fully capable software package.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/Productivity_Series_Controllers

Do-More is another series that is good.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/Do-more_Series_(BRX,_H2,_T1H)_PLCs_(Micro_Modular_-a-_Stackable)
The software, Do-More Designer is a free download and includes a fully functional simulator that will even support serial and Ethernet communications.

Regards,

schneider m340 is half the cost of allen bradley control logix, cheaper than compact logix hardware, software is way cheaper, more robust, and simpler to install so you can get by without a support contract, and schneider m340 only marginally more expensive than Automation direct if you are buying isolated IO modules.

Drew,

My current employer uses Yaskawa PLC’s extensively. I think they are an awesome platform. Be aware they are marketed as a “Machine Controller” and I wouldn’t use them for anything more than that. For fixed automation and controlling servos they are very good and training is free (online).

For coordinating multiple machines together into fully functional production lines we still use AB, but we use a single CLX for an entire department (10-15 lines @ 4-6 machines each). This makes the platform much more affordable.

For HMI options I can’t recommend Red Lion more. Maple is even more affordable but I don’t have any development experience with it. If you need a bunch of HMI’s you can get an unlimited license for Ignition from Infuctive Automstion and deploy it across some affordable IPC’s from Advantech. I’ve used Automstion Direct’s CMore screen and was not at all impressed.

I wouldn’t totally right off AB as far as cost anymore. The new 5380 compactlogix are very affordable relatively speaking ($1200 list so around 700-900 depending on your discount). A Wago PFC 200 (750-8202) has a list price around $1700, so you’re not much different. Now the cost is in how many implicit CIP nodes you want to have (explicit messages still don’t count). The new compact guardlogix even starts well below $2k.

We sell a lot of different 'brands' and maybe able to help with the price... we just became a authorised distributor for Weintek and they work with just about every PLC platform https://www.plccable.com/weintek-hmis/

For the PLC, whats wrong with what you are using? I like Wago's so unless there is something that you cant do with the Wago I would stay with them.

Idec is always overlooked not sure why, but they have done their last generations of PLC(FC4/5 and 6) in conjunction with Schneider. The FC6A is a good bit of kit, particularly for the price(40 I/O for around £300 + VAT in the UK before discount).

Another vote for AutomationDirect.

However, in my experience, the cost of the PLC hardware is a fraction of the total project cost. I used AutomationDirect because I liked the hardware, availability, and support, with the price being a secondary consideration.

The company I work for is a bit of a start-up and cannot afford to play with the big dogs like AB and Siemens. We currently use CodeSys running on Wago PLCs but my experience with AB leads me to believe that there must be another tier of PLC/HMI platforms between AB and CodeSys. Can anyone provide me with some recommendations for reliable PLC/HMI platforms that outperform CodeSys but don't require the investment of AB?

Ultimately, what are you looking to get? How many IO do you need to control? You're unlikely to find a PLC that can control a whole factory at a fraction of the cost of the big boys. However, if you want to scale down to a smaller PLC at a lower price than a ControlLogix or S7-1500? Possible.

If the tier difference you want is a smaller PLC, then there are a ton of vendors that offer smaller "micro" PLCs, and even smart relays. However, so do AB and Siemens. I've found that unless you buy a whole lot of them, the time lost in using an unfamiliar or low feature platform is never really gained back in profit.

As an aside, Codesys powers the software of a lot of the PLC vendors out there; it's a pretty well accepted platform. If the performance you mean is PLC (scantime, memory, etc), there are plenty of other brands based on Codesys that would have better PLC performance. If you don't like the tool, then that might be another story.

Also take a look at the Unitronics Vision and UniStream Series.
They are HMI's with an integrated PLC, very affortable.
I made once a project with them and was surprised of the good programming software.