Connection Issues.....

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all

L33ER and a 6186M-19PT Performance Monitor.

So we all know the L33ER has two Ethernet and a USB Type B.

The monitor is not in the same cabinet as the PLC. We are using cables to connect the main to the remote cabinets. That being said we will be cabling the main to the remote HMI cabinet. It will be going thru two terminal block sets (one at the main, and one in the remote).

The Monitor has five types of inputs; digital and analog video, USB type B, two USB type A, and a RS 232 port.

If I blunt the wire into the terminal blocks at the HMI remote, and go wire for wire thru the cabling, and terminate on the blocks in the main, can I connect the type B on the monitor to the type B on the PLC.

Is there a more acceptable way to make this connection.

Read the manual on the Monitor and PLC, search PLCS.Net, and google the web with no clear results on an industry standard.

Please advise.

Thank you for your valuable time and consideration.

Are you asking if you can connect the two USB ports together? If so, the answer is no. The USB port on the PLC is for your PC to make an RSLinx connection for programming/troubleshooting.

It all depends on what communication protocol your performance monitor uses. If it does not have Ethernet-IP (Note there is a difference between regular Ethernet and Ethernet-IP), you will most likely need to purchase some kindof of gateway convertor or card.

RS232 is the standard for the electrical connection. It however, does not tell you the protocol. The protocol would be something like modbus, ASCII strings, etc.

I apologize, i did not check the part number and assumed that you were working with the power or process monitor, not a computer monitor.

It appears that device is just a industrial rated touchscreen monitor for connecting to a PC. What are you trying to do? If you are trying to use it as an HMI, you will need a PC and HMI software to make it function.

The 6186M-19PT Performance Monitor is what its name states: a monitor.

What would be your video source? I hope not the L33ER...:D.

A FTVSE Server would provide a video source or a third party software running PC connected to both the the PLC and the monitor.

Last edited:
So I can load this touch screen with FTV,and it will work with tags, but no way to communicate to a PLC.

Thank you for all for sharing your advice/knowledge

No you can't load it with FTV you will need a PC
this is just a monitor it displays the signal video either digital or analog

Last edited:
John, you would need an Integrated Display Industrial Computer such as the VersaView 5400 (https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Computers/Integrated-Display-Computers/6200-VersaView-5400) or the 6181 (https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Computers/Integrated-Display-Computers/Bulletin-6181) in order to run a FTVME Station HMI application; this will also need a separate license.

The originally chosen monitor would be used only within FTVSE applications (Site Edition Local or Distributed) where the video signal is provided by the FVTSE Server computer.

Yup, getting schooled now

Already on it. 2711P-T19C22D9P-B

:( <<<<<< going left now

Thanks all for your time and consideration

Last edited: