Mitsubishi A800 VFD for Standalone Motion

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone used the Mitsubishi A800 VFD with encoder card as a standalone motion axis? I'm looking at upgrading some Danfoss drives*with SyncPos motion cards for a customer. I can go full bore and replace the drives and motors with servos, or I could attempt to just replace the drives and leave the original motors and encoders for about half the cost.

Why not use a Yaskawa A1000 I know that they can be used to replace servos
I have done that many times
They actually have an option software package to exactly what you want

In a word: familiarity. I have all the software and know all the players. I've been working with Mitsubishi hardware for 14 years.

I'm also considering control techniques for similar reasons.

The couple of times I touched Yaskawa servo drives, I wasn't particularly impressed with the ease of use, so I'd hesitate to go that direction. That said, I know they're a major player in the drive world. Who is the local distributor?

I understand familiarity it's always easer to work with what you are used to.
I have worked on a few Mitsubishi and have found then lacking, but it all about choices.
I have been working with Yaskawa since the mid 1990's been empresses with then, features and reliability they are always years ahead of the development curve.

What is the application? The A800 series VFD does have motion control capabilities but it does depend on the application, you're not getting coordinated motion without some form of external control (or using the onboard PLC)

As the the overall concept, an induction motor + encoder is not going to be capable of the same acceleration profile as a servo motor, because (assuming permanent magnet type) the servo motor has less inertia, leaving more of the torque that can be used in the application. There is little to no difference in the drive technology, other than the more complex firing algorithm needed for the PM servos, that's why many of the high-end VFDs are capable of either/or. So if your application is using IMs with encoders and is doing what is required, there would be little justification to change it to servos now.

The Advanced Motion Controller in the Control Techniques M700 has virtually all of the functions of the Danfoss SycPos Card, plus more.

It's not as easy as Power Tool Pro / EZ-Motion, but there are a bunch of examples and good tech support to get it going. Get ahold of your local Sales guy there, and he can get you hooked up with the right support.