Profinet IO IndraDrive

timryder

Hey all,

I got stuck doing a Siemens PLC and have to use a Rex Roth IndraDrive servo and controller for a simple task. I have never used the indra drives and have no experience with Profinet.

First, does anyone have good sample code on how to use Profinet IO? I have the drive configured but I don't think I'm initializing the data somehow... (I. 256-257)

Second, does anyone have any examplesuggestions using Profinet and an IndraDrive? Would love to see a reference, Rex Roth support sucks.

Thanks

So when the Hardware Configurator says that the input blocks of the Servo controller are addressed at I 256 - 257.... is that literal? As in I should be able to create a bit using address I 256.0 and have that be working? Or is there more to it first. I have the ProfiNet name and address configured and I don't seem to be getting any errors, just no data.

Generally either the manufacturer or you create a function block for the control.
Are you doing a positioning application? You will need more than just 1 or 2 words of data. That's for sure.
But for communication, see if there's an automation active or communication bit. You probably need to turn that on to see data

So when the Hardware Configurator says that the input blocks of the Servo controller are addressed at I 256 - 257.... is that literal? As in I should be able to create a bit using address I 256.0 and have that be working? Or is there more to it first. I have the ProfiNet name and address configured and I don't seem to be getting any errors, just no data.

It is literal. You don't NEED to create symbols/tags for the different bits and bytes, but it is helpful to keep track of things in your code. There are also probably some Q address for the outputs. Once you've downloaded it to the PLC, and assigned the device name, that's all you should need to do as far as HW config goes. If you have no red lights on the PLC, thats a good sign.

However, you may need to do some configuration in the drive to get it set up and actually send data.

There are two ways this data can be handled in the PLC. If there is a standard FB for the Indradrive unit, then you can probably create a symbol (tag) for IW256 (which includes bytes IB256 & IB257). This will get passed to the standard FB, which will parse out the data from there.

If you can't find a standard FB, then you might have to find where in the manual it defines each bit in the telegram. THen you can create (for example) I256.0 as Error, I256.1 as Ready, I256.2 as running, etc.

Note, if you're new to the platform, that it goes I256.0-I256.7 and then moves up to I257.0. I've seen more than a few people getting stuck looking for I256.14, thinking it was WORD based instead of byte based.

Which plc model are you using and which programming platform - Classic or TIA Portal.

What data are you expecting from the drive?