Emergency Stop Pushbutton Design

Please don't kill all power to a machine for an E-Stop(in most cases). Killing power and performing an E-Stop are 2 different things.

Not in my world. The power being there might just be the need for the E-Stop.

And anyone reaching for the E-Stop should not be guessing what it does.

Just my 2c

Daba, that is not the case in the states, and probably not where you are also. In most cases, having the E-Stop kill power to the machine is a bad idea. The safety agencies agree with not having to kill electricity. If there is an electrocution danger, than that really needs to be addressed in some other way.

Daba, that is not the case in the states, and probably not where you are also. In most cases, having the E-Stop kill power to the machine is a bad idea. The safety agencies agree with not having to kill electricity. If there is an electrocution danger, than that really needs to be addressed in some other way.

...and just how does that work ?

Are you proposing another Emergency Stop button that does different things to the first ?

Killing power to a machine is a fundamental way of saving lives, and I've said it before I'll say it again, an Emergency Stop button can be hit by anyone seeing an "incident", he should not need to think what it does, or doesn't do !!....

A second E-Stop would be stupid. Killing electricity to the machine to make it safe is called Lock Out-Tag Out. If there is an electrocution hazard, it should be addressed in different way. That means guarding, design, etc. You need to understand that on many machines, killing power to a machine is not the way to bring it to a safe state. Yes, on some machines that will work, but to make a blanket statement that all machines should do that is wrong.