OT: GE Smart Relays

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Folks,

Just had three GE Smart Relay's dumped on me and I could use a little help. Don't have the model number (will get it later today). But the confiuration is 120VAC power supply, (4)120VAC inputs, (4) isolated relay outputs. The programming connection appears to be a RJ-45 connection. I need to obtain the software and cabling to program these units. I went to the GE website, no luck. Tried a google search and got lots of hits on Smart Relays but not the GE brand. I think these units were installed around the early to mid '90's. Does GE still support these? I guess I could find a local GE/Fanuc dealer and go from there.
Thanks for any and all assistance.

Ken

They came from GE, but not from the division that makes PLCs (GE Fanuc). The Smart Relay came from the Electrical Distribution and Control division. It was designed as a heavier duty device than conventional PLCs. The contact outputs are rated to directly start a 1 HP, 120 VAC motor.

It is programmed using the 'Smart Relay Loader', part number SRLA. I can't find any reference to a software package for programming it.

They also used the same device in the fieldbus wars. They put a network chip on it and marketed it as a motor control block. Unfortunately for them, at the time they came out with it, they were in a joint venture with Micro-Switch, so they promoted Honeywell's implementation of the CAN chip, SDS. I think they also came out with a DeviceNet version.

Did a quick search, got a couple of hits on ebay for the smart relay loader. Buying anything on ebay is not an option. So... I guess I'll just have to replace, versus reusing the relays.

Thanks for the response

Ken Moore said:
Did a quick search, got a couple of hits on ebay for the smart relay loader. Buying anything on ebay is not an option.

$35.00 dosnt seem bad. Just out of courosity, why not ebay? Company policy?

Yep, company does not allow ebay purchases.
I don't need the heavy contact rating, only switching about 1 amp. So I'll probably replace these GE units with Pico controllers.

Thanks for all the help.

Ken

<advertisment>

May I suggest a DL06AR, or DL06DR , for your application....

about $120.00. 8 inputs, 6-Relay outputs rated at 2 amps.

Probably less then the Pico with a lot more capability. :D

</advertisement>

P.S. This plug is not sponsored or endorsed by Automation Direct in any way form or manner.... :rolleyes:

I contracted to GE Elec. Dist. and Control for a couple years in the mid 90's. The "real employee" I replaced took the only smart relay that plant had ever had with him to California in 1994. I could never get any literature, or one to play with. Never saw one, and could never google any info up either.

I would be interested in finding out how many they sold. they were pretty heavy duty. When I left GE, I went to Freeport, IL, which had a small Honeywell plant with 6,000 employes. They sent several reps over to the tire plant pushing dcs.

The pico would be okay, the AD should have heavier contacts. Pico doesn't need programming software, but AB does have a great program in PicoSoft.

If you don't need relays, the AB ML1000 for $99 with free software might work for you.

regards.....casey

I've used the Pico's before, have the software and cable. The outputs are rated for 8A resistive or 3A inductive. I need the isolated relay output feature.

Mike,
I'm not allowed to bring in any "non-approved" brands. Some day I'll give the AD line a look, but it will have to be on my own. AD is not an approved vendor.

Ken

You just can't win

Bought Pico's, replaced the GE's. While wiring up the last Pico one of the older maintenace men walks up and says:
"I remember when they put in those Smart Realys, so and so installed them, I've got one of the programmers in my locker."

Oh well, the GE's were obsolete anyway.
Maybe I can find a use for them.

KEN:

Wonder what else a locker inspection would uncover?

I knew some electricians who kept a spare module for each one used, ps, and cpu in their lockers. Could never figure out how they got them past inventory control.

GE hand held programmers, I bought so many at the tire plant in 1996, I figure each sparky had one in his tool box, another in his car, and one at home. that included the guys in the AB and Reliance sides of the plant too.

The only time one would surface,was when it was broke.

Then there was one of the other electrical engineers, he went through a lot of laptop computers. I think he was trying to see how many the company would buy him in one year.

oh well.....

kc9ih said:
...Wonder what else a locker inspection would uncover?

Things recently found in "lockers"...

Over coffee one of the guys was talking about hanging drywall in his kitchen..It immideatly dawned on me that he was likely using our "missing" drywall lift. I asked him to return it; he agreed.

After polling EVERYBODY about the Dupline programmer, it magically appeared on my desk.

Still looking for that new megger.....

We've discovered that we're missing about 30' of scaffolding..

Now on the hunt for the heli-coil kit, two hilti guns, and a Textronics Tech-Scope. :angr: