Displaying fractions of inches

bernie_carlton

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I wish to display machine position measurements for setup people when changing between different products. This being the 'good ole USA', where the metric system is still seen as a Communist Plot, the measurements would be most understandable if displayed as, for example "3 1/8 inches". Unfortunately the standard displays don't lend themselves to doing this in any easy manner. If the measurements are displayed as, for example "3.125 inches", would this be too confusing to the average American worker? Or do you feel that the person setting up a machine should be able to understand this or they shouldn't even be touching the machine. Would some kind of "cheat sheet" screen be helpful? Possibly you've worked out a magic way to make this display easily? (I'm using EZTouch and occasionally Panelview displays.) I'm looking for any and all ideas.

My experience has been that most American machinists are used to working in "thousands" not fractions. So .125 should not be a problem, but this is only one opinion.

My personal opinion is that if a person can't make the translation between decimal inches and fractional inches, then he has no business setting up a machine that requires measuring. But I realize that the people who sign off on the purchase orders for my services don't always share that opinion.

If you must display data in fractional inches, make it a text display triggered by range logic in the PLC.

Of the six paper guilotine cutters in our plant, none show fractional. They are all shown in decimal. On the machine is a "Cheat Sheet" showing conversions and over time the operators have began to memorize them. On one of our older machines there was even a calculator programmed into the screen for conversions.

dale

All of our displays for measurement are in decimals. However all my guys are fairly well educated, (no total dummies here), so it's not a problem I've considered. Now speeling is a hole nother thign.....

OK - I'm giving in. I'll display the measurements in decimal but provide a conversion page on the display they can jump to if needed. Maybe I overthink this stuff.

Bernie,

You said it, not me...

I will say this:

All the drawings that we produce for fabercation of mechanical components, like elevator cab enclosures, doors, car frames, etc; where the fabercator is likely to use a tape rule or square, are done in fractions.

On the other hand drawings that are used for machineing where there is a readout are done in decimals. This way the fabercator/installer dos'nt have to convert anything in his head while he's doing the job.

On the other hand we have a cable measuring device (dlo5, DV100, & encoder), that displays only in 1/4" incriments. 5.25, 5.5, 5.75... That's easy for anybody. However measuring cable dosnt require that much accuracy.

"Maybe I overthink this stuff." Not at all---Overthinking can sometimes equal "idiot-proofing". I agree with the cheat-sheet. It will make some people smart enough not to need one.

I aggree most operators know three place decimals.
Since you are making a separate conversion screen, why not add Metric?

Decimal Fraction mm
0.125 1/8 3.175
0.250 1/4 6.350
0.375 3/8 9.525
0.500 1/2 12.700
0.625 5/8 15.875
0.750 3/4 19.050
0.875 7/8 22.225
1.000 1 25.400

Good Luck

OVER THINK ??

If asking questions or considering possibilites is overthinking then in my opinion you are doing just fine.

I think if I had to pick one I would prefer "overthinking" to "underthinking".

I aggree most operators know three place decimals.
Since you are making a separate conversion screen, why not add Metric?

Great idea!! Educate them into what the rest of the world is doing. Somewhere along the way a machine will turn up from Europe, or maybe even Ozz, and EVERYTHING will be in Metric.

gbradley said:

We may go kickin' and screamin', but we'll get there someday.
:p

I have been ready since they taught us in grade school back in '75. It has been all the old timers and Luddites that have been holding us back.

Bob

Somewhere along the way a machine will turn up from Europe, or maybe even Ozz, and EVERYTHING will be in Metric.

You are joking....US of A importing stuff? Do you think that will ever happen? Anyway, the stuff we build is not BIG enough for them.. :)

So really, what is the reason why America is still imperial?