SMC Flex

HalloJulle

I am trying to read the I/O statuses of an Allen Bradley SMC Flex softstarter over DeviceNet. Has ayone done something like this before and can it actually be done? I have spoken to Rockwell's helpdesk and they said it should be possible, however I have not been able to activate the outputs nor read the statuses of the inputs.

The basic I/O connection to the SMC Flex (it's equipped with a 20-COMM-D adapter) is 4 bytes Input and 4 bytes Output.

The layout of these two 16-bit words is illustrated in the SMC Flex User Manual, Publication 150-UM008, pages 8-8 and 8-9.

To read additional data from the SMC Flex, you can configure DataLinks or use Explicit Messages.

Get the SMC Flex into the Scanlist of the scanner module (what model is it ?) as a 4 byte Input and 4 byte Output Polled I/O connection, and get the control working first, then you can work on expanding the connection.

The problem is not with the I/O image but with the 2 inputs and the 4 Aux outputs which can be wired on the SMC Flex.

I want to know whether these can be wired as conventional I/O or whether they can only be configured for the uses assigned to them in the SMC Flex.

In the manual they are labelled option inputs 1 & 2 and the outputs are aux contacts 1 to 4. Page 53 in the manual.

If they can be used as conventional I/O how do I need to do the setup in the SMC Flex?

Okay, I get it. My answer is "maybe, because it's similar to other products, but I haven't done this exactly."

You can do this on PowerFlex drives by configuring the Discrete Inputs for "Not Used", then reading the Digital Input Status in the normal Status word.

The SMC Flex also shows that Option Input 1 and Option Input 2 can be configured for "Disabled", and that Aux Output #1-4 have options for "Normal" and "Network Control".

I have done this with PowerFlex inputs, but never with SMC Flex, since generally the onboard I/O is used for, well, the control of the SMC Flex.

A good, compact option I've seen used when extended I/O is necessary "in the bucket" with the SMC Flex is the 100-DSA Starter Auxiliary unit, with 4 inputs and 2 outputs.