Retrieving Labels from AB 505

RickParrot

I've never had much success uploading a program WITH LABELS from an AB processor. I've just made sure all my backups had labels. I've recently heard that you CAN upload a ladder program from a AB processor WITH LABELS. Is this really possible? I would think so since the processor can tell if your labeled copy is correct or not. I want to try it on a 1747 551c. Any advise?!

for slc 500's - I am not aware that you can. We are using version 9.00
you can upload a program and you will get the program code only,
no descriptions or symbols.

you can upload and merge the plc program to what is on the pc if needed.
you need a good backup.

what part of Iowa?

regards,
james

Nope, you are completely out of luck. No A-B processor has ever had the ability to store LABELS, (I think you mean SYMBOLS).

Symbolic names for data-table addresses only ever exist in the project file loaded onto your programming machine in Logix5 or Logix500. Therefore if you have to Upload, and you haven't got the offline project file, you will see no symbols, or any other documentation for that matter.

Of course with the Logix5000 range, they don't use data-tables with addresses that you would like to "Label" or "Symbolise", but instead have proper tag databases, where data is NAMED, so doesn't need a symbolic address.

JM too fast, lol

I agree with you. I thought it sounded too good to be true. But at the same time, how does the processor know your labeled version... eg..."with an extra 'T' " doesn't match when you go to merge?
Try it yourself. Take a working labeled copy, add a "t" to any label and save it on your PC. You won't be able to merge next time you want to go online with the PLC.
How does it know if it doesn't store labels?

I agree with you. I thought it sounded too good to be true. But at the same time, how does the processor know your labeled version... eg..."with an extra 'T' " doesn't match when you go to merge?
Try it yourself. Take a working labeled copy, add a "t" to any label and save it on your PC. You won't be able to merge next time you want to go online with the PLC.

The software is displaying the SYMBOL saved in the documentation database, it already knows the address.

I haven't got my SLC rig at the moment, but I'm sure you can "Upload and Use" the mismatched project file, I have done it before many times.

The SLC doesn't need to know - it is only working with physical addresses, those are displayed on the ladder on the PC, and any additional documentation is also displayed by the software... The PLC/SLC takes no part in this.

I just tried on one of my programs. Changed the test of the description as well as the symbol, program still went online without an issue. :confused: