help me decide between brands (Newbie here)

Skidood

Hi all, hope your day is going well.

I am self-employed and don't have deep pockets nor do I have enough work.
I want to start a programming project for a PLC and HMI for a moderately complex machine.
I would prefer to use an all-in-1 HMI/PLC product.
I have pretty limited experience and its with RSLogix 500.

I have played with programming software from:
-EZAutomation
-Unitronics
The EZAutomation software appears to require that you manually enter a memory address for each tag.....I don't recall RS doing this.
The Unitronics software looked hard to use and hard on the eyes..
I don't have RSView software (and can't afford it) otherwise I would use that since I am more comfortable working with RSLogix and it seemed that it is much easier to create a program.
One option is to use an EZAutomation panel with an Allen Bradley PLC since they support that...but then you are probably using 2 different programming software packages at the same time.

I'm feeling bewildered.

About the machine this is for:
-4 DC inputs, 8 outputs
2 temp inputs (heavily referenced in the program) , one 4-20 mA input
-no motion control or servo stuff (mainly valve activation based on temps)
-down the road I would like to put in some recipes, but to start, it would just be a main ladder with maybe 4 subroutines.

Also, is there any way I can get a copy of RSView and trial it without actually having to buy it?

Thanks in advance.

PS if there is anyone in the West Toronto/Mississauga area who has some free time and can teach me a few basics, say over a 4 hour time period, I would be more than happy. :)

Last edited:
If you're looking for an all-in-one, I've had success in the past using Horner Electric controllers. Software is free to download and try out.

+1 for the Horner OCS line. No problems here.

As for address-based vs. tag-based elements, I agree. Hopefully, the next generation of the Cscape will allow for it. I never seem to know what tags I need until I get going, and find a dark corner I need to program out of :) Then my well organized tag list is shot. Oh well, that's what exporting to Excel is for!

I've used the Unitronics many times. The "Unistream" models use one of their newer software packages. I've been able to do pretty complex stuff like in AB. For example, you can make function blocks that pass in variables like AOIs.

If you are looking at using an AB PLC, I'll offer a suggestion to use AdvancedHMI. It can save you lots of money because there are no software costs. It runs on a standard PC and you can get industrial panel PCs for lower cost than a proprietary hardware based HMI.

Just something to think about with an all in one device. If you have an all in one PLC and HMI you will have to run all your signal cables up to the lid. With separate PLC and HMI you run all the signal cables to the PLC on the base plate and one data cable and some power to the HMI. Depending on your layout that might be simpler. However you tend to get a more integrated programming experience with everything in one device.

I would take a look at automation direct.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home
We just did a job controlling air compressors and used this system which came in way under budget. Thermocouple cards were used for the inside and outside temperature for exhaust direction.
http://accautomation.ca/click-plc-system-hardware/
It has free software, and as someone else has mentioned you can use AdvancedHMI as the interface.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

If you need the all in one controller then Horner is a good product to use. They have just introduced their X5.
http://accautomation.ca/horner-xl4-system-hardware/
The above is a tutorial on the Horner.

I hope this helps you out.
Regards,

I would not use a ALL-IN-ONE... but thats me, I have had a few issues with them in the past, my customers lost a output and I had to replace the PLC and HMI for a bad output, I could not swap it for another because they were all used

If I were you... I would use a MicroLogix 1100 (free software) and a Red Lion Kadet 7 inch or 4 inch, the 1100 is expandable so you can add I/O as needed and both are Ethernet great support and easy to use

Just something to think about with an all in one device. If you have an all in one PLC and HMI you will have to run all your signal cables up to the lid. With separate PLC and HMI you run all the signal cables to the PLC on the base plate and one data cable and some power to the HMI. Depending on your layout that might be simpler. However you tend to get a more integrated programming experience with everything in one device.

I disagree. For example in beckhoff panel PC's like CP62xx series you just need ethernet cable and 24 VDC power supply to cpu on the lid and IO's can be elsewhere. I would call this to "almost all in one" .

Last edited:
I've used the Unitronics many times. The "Unistream" models use one of their newer software packages. I've been able to do pretty complex stuff like in AB. For example, you can make function blocks that pass in variables like AOIs.

Does Unitronics charge for programming software?

I would call this to "almost all in one"
I think you have just invented a new class of HMI/PLC, the "almost all in one".

I had left my answer fairly broad, just to offer a different view. Being more specific I would have suggested devices out of the S7-1200 range, which are programmed in one piece of software and are nearly but not quite almost all in one. :ROFLMAO:

Allen Bradley Micro820 plc ($250.00)
Maple System Hmi (4.3") ($299.00).

CCW programming software for the PLC (FREE).
EZWarePlus programming software for the HMI (FREE)

You will be able to use TAG BASED addressing (you don't have to use address or Modbus)

Just my opinion.

I think you have just invented a new class of HMI/PLC, the "almost all in one".

Yes, reason why i said that is that ethernet cable between io-card and panel pc. But you are right. You need that one extra cable compared to "all in one unit". Anyway, also twincat 2 & 3 includes needed software to hmi.