How do you make panel door cutouts?

Allen123

As I was doing an HMI cutout yesterday, kicking up profuse grit and spark with my die grinder and seeming to take forever, it dawned on me that perhaps there's a better way. So what better place to ask.. how do YOU make your cutouts?

Design in CAD and send to water-jet cutter. Mostly stainless work. Then get 1.5mm thick stainless cut for overlay and get acid etched for label buttons - lasts a lifetime - even in CIP acid wash down environments.

Last edited:
Use the 4 holes on the right and left of button cluster to hold the text plate on (and as spares for future expansion), oversize the holes round the push button so it pops on over them.

For large amount of button clusters (not common these days due to HMIs), get a plate on the back that has the button ID etched - correlates to schematic.

Before I had CAD I just sent the dimensions to the water-jet shop and let them transfer them.

cad.jpg

Attachments

• draynes cutouts pdf.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 22
  • door layout.doc
    31 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Using this electric tool but putting before a Masking Tape ( painter's tape) around the hole. Always wear protective glasses !

4350CT.jpg

Plasma cutter. If you have multiples of the same hole size or repeated projects, make a plywood or scrap metal template of the cutout with the proper margins for the tip radius. Place the template where you want the hole and just run the plasma cutter tip around the perimeter. If you’ve never used one, you will never go back to saws or abrasion cutters. Rent one first to try it.

+1 to lfe

But use lots of tape, the fall off will get under the pads and scratch the surface

The right blades make all the difference.

Mark bold lines, cut to the inside, take your time.

Some of us do not have the luxury of a water jet........:)

For larger cutouts a metal cutting circular saw gives the fastest, cleanest, and straightest cuts. Most of the time the cut edge does not need deburred. Does not burn the paint and no sparks, just flying chips. It cuts through panel doors like using a wood circular saw to cut 1/4" plywood.

It also works great for cutting things like conduit or steel stock in the field.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Saws-and-Cutters/Circular-Saws/0740-20

BUT... It takes a little practice and it can be dangerous if not used with care.

+1 to lfe

But use lots of tape, the fall off will get under the pads and scratch the surface

The right blades make all the difference.

Mark bold lines, cut to the inside, take your time.

Some of us do not have the luxury of a water jet........:)

+1 again!

My shop guys do this method often and it's been the easiest for them.
So true about the blades, by far the most important part.

.. send to water-jet cutter. ..
+1. Draw location on panel with Sharpie. Give machinist the cutout info sheets that come with HMI, handle, etc.
Make sure Sharpie marks are on the discard area, or draw on paper. Sharpie can soak in to paint and be tough to clean.

Be aware that panel will get wet in cutting process.