omron internal vs. external I/O's

Ken44

I am a robot technician at work where we use mostly Omron PLC's. About 8 years ago I took a course on PLC's (Texas Instruments). We used a DOS program (TI405) for programming. The I/O's were very easy - X for input Y for output C for (internal) control relay. I recently aquired a copy of Syswin for Omron PLC's and am having trouble figuring out how to put the inputs and outputs in. I've been through the manual and a couple of e-books and still can't find the answer. I read (in the manual I think) that internal relays need no prefix... OK, so what prefix do I need to put for an external output? I'm working on this at home and have no PLC here, so I'm working offline and can't try out the programs to see if I'm getting an output.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken

Ken

The inputs and outputs witk Omron are part of thre internal relays/
So the address of them is simply word.
What you have to know is what type of PLC you use and what the right address for him.
For example CPM use words 0-9 for inputs and word from 10 for ourputs

So the 1st input will be 0.0 the 2nd 0.1.....
The 1st output will be 10.00 10.01 ..........
I would recommend you to use the word 200 (200.00 200.01 200.15) for internal relays.

Thanks

Thank You very much for the help. Its not really my job as a robot technician to program the PLC's as we have an IT "profesional" to do that, but although I just started a crash course on Omron this week and my last dealings with a PLC were in a classroom 8 or 10 years ago, I think I know about as much about it as he does. He can't set the times to allow for daylight savings time,they are set up for 3 shifts although we have only had 2 since I came back over a year ago, and we've had one PLC out of order for over a month because he is too lazy to come out and download the program back on it. It was shut down for a week during Christmas and apparently the battery went dead or something and wiped the memory. I just want to learn more about the OMrons before I volunteer my services to help.

Thanks again,
Ken

IT "profesional"

SCARY!!!!!

My experience says that these guys do not have a clue. Empire builders to say the very least.

I think I know about as much about it as he does.

Probably a pretty fair assesment.

we've had one PLC out of order for over a month because he is too lazy to come out and download the program back on it.

Typical of "IT Professional" that do not have a clue what they are doing.

The Omron memory map has no "X", "Y", "I" or "Q". Just I/O, (numbers). You have to be aware of what your input and output channels are. Anything not used for inputs and outputs can be used as internal I/O.

For example, output channel 10, a 12 bit card covers from output 0 to 11, bits 12 to 15 can be used as internal I/O. I hate being restricted by other PLCs that do not have this feature. Only have to type in the number EG: 0 for input 0.00. 10000 for output 1000.00 etc. No % signs, X, Y, I or Q. LOVERLY.

Suggest you get hold of an Omron manual and have a look at the I/O chart.

Omron can be a bit daunting at first because of this but after using them for a while, it is very hard to go back to "conventional" locked I/O addressing. I hate being restricted by all the conventions in other PLCs. Takes longer to type in your program. By the way, I am not into "drag and drop", just use function keys. Have no desire to get "RSI" from clicking on a mouse all day. Keyboard is much easier on one both mentally and physically. "Drag and drop" is good for factory fiddlers, not program developers.

By the way, get hold of CX-Programmer V5 if you can, you can selsct I/O to be mapped as "X/Y' or "I/Q", whatever your preferance. Many other great features, awesome software!!!

Last edited:
thanks

Thank you very much!
As for the PLC that is down... the file is saved in his office from the last guy(who actually knew what he was doing)...all he has to do is walk out in the plant, hook up a serial cable and download! Its beginning to realy irritate me, because I know enough about PLCs to now how easy it would be, even if he had to reprogram the thing. I've been thinking about offering to help out on the night shift, now that we have another robot technician trained to help me. I guess its like they say "if you want something done, give it to a busy person". The guy is no genius. A while back we had trouble with an output (from the robot - not the PLC staying on and they sent him to help. his idea was to change the mac valve. I was trying to tell him that wasn't the problem... the light on the valve was on. the valve was not sticking - it was getting power from somewhere.