Controlling 160SSC drive with Analog Card

Showelljr

I have to take a slc 5/03 and use an analog out card ....number is 1746-n04v. To speed up or slow down a motor for a scrap belt. I know I can take the 160 analog follower model drive and set it up to receive 0 - 10vdc which is what the card will do. But the logic to get my PV900c so the operator can speed it up and down with the PV is kicking my tail. I tried to assign the buttons unsigned integar values but can't get it in my head right......I am great at troubleshooting and logic on the simple side but mov and copy and CPT instructions when you are passing them through a float file.....man I need some help......or at least some guidance.....

thanks
Steve

I'm working on a problem right now with converting float point to to 16-bit word format. This may also be a problem if your PV doesn't accept this format. This scrap belt doesn't sound like it needs to have float point to control the 0-10 vdc signal especially if it is operator selected. With a 16=bit word like N7:0 or B3:0 you should be able to get all the resolution you'll need.

Hope this helps
Opamp :)

thinking.....smoke in here

I have the screens I would like to use drawn for the panel view. It has a speed up and a speed down button on it. I would take the speed up button and tie it into an add instruction to increase the word on the output card to adjust the 0-10vdc for the drive. Same would be true for the slow down button on the PV to subtract from the word that is being SCP'ed off of the analog card? Making any sense?

Thanks for the effort thus far.
Steve

You might be able to do this very easily with the regular old scaling in the PanelView.

There's a PanelView object called an "Inc/Dec Numeric Entry". It displays a value on the PanelView screen and lets you increase or decrease the value by an step value (by default 1, but you can change that) each time you press the increment or decrement buttons that go with it.

PanelView numeric entries include scaling, offsets, and entry limits all right there on the configuration tab; you won't have to do anything in ladder logic except a MOV to get that info into the correct Output register on the analog card.

The 1746-NO4V module output data range is 0 - 32764 to command 0 to 10.00 volts DC. Therefore if you are entering a value between 0 and 100% speed on the PanelView, you can set a scaling multiplier right there in the Inc/Dec Numeric Entry of 327.64 and you will end up controlling your variable speed drive between 0 and 10 volts over the 0-100% entry span.

Post your PanelView application and maybe we can suggest ways to implement this.

Many drives have this increase/decrease feature built into them so all you need is two relay contact outputs, one for increase and one for decrease. I don't know if the 160 has this feature.

Some manufacturers call this a floating point reference, some call it MOP (Motor Operated Pot) reference, and there are likely others.

If the 160 has this, you might have a very simple solution at hand.

I can show you what I have done in a similar situation with a 5/04, 1746-NI04V and Reliance VS DC drive.

I matched the conveyor speed for 20 pieces per minute at approximately 100vdc output. I use SCP to scale from 0 to 20 but in the PV I only allow 8 to 20 to be used. I will soon change the max number to 30 which will mean I have to set my maximum output to motor at approximate 150vdc. Just an FYI, when my motor is at 20 then the output is 100vdc (max that I set it), when its at 10 the output to motor is approximately 50vdc..see the linearity? My motor is 180vdc.

As was stated you could also use the Increase/Decrease and have it change by any amount. You can do what I did and use numbers to represent RPM, FPM etc. I used 8 to 20 as a "system speed" designation, it referenced the pieces of product that could be done per minute.The rest of the system uses this setting as a reference for the conveyor speeds.

dcdrivescp.jpg

PV Inc/Dec

Okay.
After reading Ken's post about the inc/dec option in the PV itself, I thought there is an easier way to do it, so I get the laptop out and load up Panelbuilder32 and start looking for the inc/dec option. I can't find it guys. Under numeric entry I have cusror point and keypad enable, but can't find this anywhere on my menu tabs. I pulled the help file and it tells me how to do it but it does not have the option on the menu bar.....what gives?
I am looking to see what version I have.......version 3.8 build 226 I just got this like 2 weeks ago, but any insight would be helpful......

Thanks again

Steve

PV Program

Okay in the program the screen for the Fan is the one I am setting up ...there might be a better way to do it so any insight would be great .

thanks guys

Steve

I have PB32 version 7 so have to assume that there is a compatibility issue because I can not open the file, wish I could.

Well

Let me see what the deal is cause according to AB's site I have the current version of PB32. There is another file that is like 5.5mb long so let me see if I can get it over here and then try to open that one.

Thanks
Steve

Here we go.

Okay this is a zip of the 5.5mb file.....Geez they pack up well, but it is with the PBA extension once unzipped so maybe this one will work, if not let me know and might have to take some screen shots.

Thanks
Steve

Not sure what is going on

Okay since this is my first time with the whole building PV screens, for kicks and giggles I created a new app and went looking for the inc/dec object and it was in the toolbar and I could install it. Same with the rotary dial indicator and couple of other things, as soon as I open the other project that has all the other screens, the one I uploaded here, I can't get to those types of objects? Any idea why? Is there some sort of lock or user rights or something the original designer put in that will not allow me this types of controls? I am still playing with it so maybe by tomorrow I might have something figured .....

Thanks
Steve

New info

Okay looks like the original was saved under the PVA 2.6 format I think, maybe those controls are newer for the PB32 type software, I just have to figure out how to update maybe?

Steve