RSLinx Hanging on to old IP's

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Using Ethernet Devices Driver:
changing IPs' of PLCs to hang them onto a Cellular network- RSLinx hangs on to the old IP... The first line is correct, thats the IP of the connected device, bu the second one is not, that's the previous IP. Should be .148 not .250

2018-09-17_15-42-09.jpg

where does it hold this old data? Or does it pull it from an old ARP entry?
I deleted the Harmony files and restarted linx and its still there.

I should add if I right click on the node in RSLinx tree and look at module properties, the correct IP (148) is there. Only RsLinx thinks otherwise.

Last edited:
I’m assuming you’ve taken the old IP addresses out of the list in the driver’s station mapping list but if not, do so. Having said that, it doesn’t always get rid of them. What I do that works most of the time is shut any other software down that is using RSLinx and turn off “Autobrowse” in RSWho. Then go into the drivers Station Mapping and delete the addresses and then back to the RSWho screen and right click on the old addresses and select “remove”. Turn RSWho back on and the addresses should not return. If they do, go through the above steps but after right clicking and removing the old addresses shut down RSLinx and restart it. If that doesn’t work (and sometimes it doesn’t), if I really want the old addresses gone (sometimes it gets personal) I will create another driver with only the addresses I want and then delete the one with the old addresses. It’s worth noting that I rarely use the DDE/OPC function so I have no idea what the ramifications of deleting the driver are when using it so use at your own risk.

I did remove every instance I could find, just kept repopulating.

But this morning I opened RSLinx just now to try your suggestion... and the IP's are now correct. I did nothing, they corrected themselves overnight.

I'm convinced that RSLinx is filled with Forbidden Magic and Pure Voodoo, I wish there was an alternative that was a bit more open. **** like this this drives me crazy!

I always Stop the driver. Delete from the list and the icons then restart the driver. I haven't had address get relisted since I started stopping first.

I did remove every instance I could find, just kept repopulating.

But this morning I opened RSLinx just now to try your suggestion... and the IP's are now correct. I did nothing, they corrected themselves overnight.

I'm convinced that RSLinx is filled with Forbidden Magic and Pure Voodoo, I wish there was an alternative that was a bit more open. **** like this this drives me crazy!

Welcome to Rockwell Software land, check you sanity at the door.

Stopping the driver and slowing myself down might just make the difference... Maybe. I'm still gonna look for evidence of witchcraft, but I'll be watching . . .

I just got used to re-creating the drivers on a regular basis as my list becomes longer and longer with the devices which are no longer on the network. It's definitely frustrating.

Not to bump a super old thread but I also had this issue and realized I had been doing something really silly.

Anyone coming across this, ensure you are correctly updating your router's port forwarding rules before pulling your hair out with RSLinx.