when will ignition v8.0 be released?

V0N_hydro

I am trying to determing if it matters when we buy licenses for a series of projects. Probably won't actually need need them until January, March, and May. If there is a new major version coming out and delaying the purchase would save some software upgrades or keep the version the client will be using in support longer.

I've never paid much attention to Ignition release frequency. Is 7.9 pretty fresh still or is 8.0 coming soon?

Thanks

I waited until the day of commissioning to buy the key for my last Ignition project. I developed it using demo mode. I have only upgraded one project and that was not in production but in our office and it was amazingly painless. I would not be too afraid to develop a project and then upgrade it at some point during development. I have only done four Ignition applications, all of them "standalone" where the gateway and clients reside on one PC and I have not been through any major revision changes.

I've never paid much attention to Ignition release frequency. Is 7.9 pretty fresh still or is 8.0 coming soon?
Thanks

Typically they announce new versions during the Ignition Community Conference in September. I'm assuming we'll hear about it then and be available for download sometime in October.

If your projects are after the new year, should be good.

i'm told the turn around time for acquiring the license key for ignition is 1-5 days from receipt of PO as opposed to 1-2 months with Citect, so that takes a bit of the guess work out of it as well.

i'm told the turn around time for acquiring the license key for ignition is 1-5 days from receipt of PO as opposed to 1-2 months with Citect, so that takes a bit of the guess work out of it as well.

I normally get a quote long in advance, and then when I need the key, I have gotten it done via phnoe call and had the key emailed to me in under an hour.

Maybe they prepare the keys with modules you need when you RFQ? Also, I have used credit card for the purchase so that might make it faster too.

1-2 months? The lead time on our entire machines is less than that :s
Sometimes I think I don't understand this industry. Other times I think I do and it makes me sad.

Maybe it takes 1-2 months for us because we have to go through the distributor Eecol? Maybe that have to send the USB license dongle and DVD jewel case from Australia.

Don't know but we aren't using it anymore anyway after the cost went up 40% this year probably to push people to wonderware so my citect days are down to small changes to two dozen existing sites.

From ICC last month, Ignition 8 will be released at the ARC Industry Forum in Orlando the week of February 4th, 2019.

Lots of cool technologies including the Perspective module, which is pure HTML 5/CSS 3 - no client side Java. Info here:

https://www.automationworld.com/art...nductive-automation-readies-major-new-release
https://inductiveautomation.com/ignition/whatsnew

You can play with a publicly available web demo at: http://demo.inductiveautomation.com/

One of the coolest features to me - open it in a web browser and resize the width of the window. You'll see the layout dynamically change. You can design a different feel for large screen displays versus tablets versus smart phones.

or try out the native apps under "Perspective" in the Apple and Play store, which allow hooks into devices, such as using the camera as a bar code reader, accessing GPS on the phone, etc.

Pretty major change - I know it's been about 18 months since this was first discussed.

I am trying to determing if it matters when we buy licenses for a series of projects. Probably won't actually need need them until January, March, and May. If there is a new major version coming out and delaying the purchase would save some software upgrades or keep the version the client will be using in support longer.

Thanks