How big can be a motor in vector Control angular Synchronization?

Prince

During Last Project I Did an angular synchronization (Electronic Shaft) for 6x1.5kw normal AC asynchronouse motors with Siemens Simovert MC. the result was quiet facinating. this encouraged our design team to use this technology for bigger uses.

One of the problems in our driving system for pipe mills is that the rolls wear down during the milling after some time. the normal way of driving the rolls in pipe mills is to drive both rolls up and down with one DC motor connected to a gearbox with two outputs for up and down rolls. then when the rolls wear out normally one of the rolls wear more so the linear speed changes from up roll to down roll then it will make marks on the pipe which makes the customers unhappy.
The result may be to use two different motors for each roll these motors can not be DC cause the DC motors are two big to be placed one over the other. the other solution is like this: two AC normal asynchronus motor with digital encoder for each roll being synchronized by means of an electronic shaft (angulr synchronization) with a motion control like Siemens Simovert MC. The problem is that the motors would be as big as 20-30KW. did anybody use this technology for bigger motors as these?

Last edited:
I have used 10kW motors for an electronic gearbox application - can't see why larger motor would be a problem for Siemens MC. The main issue will be the motor/gearbox coupling as the stiffness (and backlash) of this will determine the maximum gain and hence the following error.

I want to use 2x30KW AC Normal asynchronus motors for Electronic Shaft puprpose (Angular synchronization).

I would surely use an electronic gearbox with them too. but by this answer do you mean that in this purpose I won't need an electronic shaft ?

I must ask the Mechanical team give me time for tommorow but as far as I am concerned they are thinking about normal gearboxes and coupling. I would be very happy to see your comments about couplings and backlash.