Ifix 5.8 database manager require administrator rights

mahone

Hi All,

Recently i installed Proficy iFix 5.8 on Win 7 64 bit.
When i run iFix demo and open the database manager, it gives a message saying "this user has to be Administrator ....". But my current user is a domain user with device HP device administrator rights. It looks like it works with a local administrator acc without Domain or Device admin group.

Any advise on how can i override the administrator request?

Thanks

Any work arounf in place?

Hello I am also in search for an answer to this issue. Kindly let me know if you were able to find a workaround for this situation?

Well once the local admin rights are removed and run as Admin is done for database manager it still does not allow running. Basically our network PCs have to have local admin rights granted to the user account logged in to open database manager/ Our IT security wants to start removing admin rights but this needs a solution first before this can be done. What do you mean by invoke Ifix security as well as domain security? I am sorry not a user of the application so might need a little assistance.

Welcome to iFix and all its quirks, the list is long...

iFix has its own security system. You don't HAVE to use it but if you do you its a factor. It CAN use A/D or Local Accounts for its security purposes so that needs to be examined.

If its not being used, then check folder permissions and registry permissions. Sysinternals has a tool for this that will help. For starters just find all the GE, Proficy, Intellution, GE Fanuc, iFix folders and grant your rights to the top level and children. Same for the Registry keys with the same name. Where they are and what they are called depends on OS bit width and which iFix version. For a while they were changing those locations yearly.

It's going to be a hassle. iFix wasn't built with real security in mind and they cobbled it in as they were forced to, so you have this kind of sillyness.

Yea, I've been lucky not to have to battle that demon. I've had management support and they overrule IT when I say so. So they stay out of my business unless I ask them something.

Well the version of Ifix I have installed is 5.8 with service pack 2. It installs under the proficy folder in program files which I have tried by giving read right access to the folder as well where data base manager runs from. Even then that did not resolve the local admin rights issue.

I tried to look into the Security setting built within IFIX program but I have no information on what I need to do to try to make changes that will allow me to run IFIX Databasemanager without requiring local admin rights on the machine.

Also consulted with Microsoft and found no plausible solution. And ofcourse no information from GE in regards to this either. Still searching for solutions or suggestions.

Well, have you tried to reinstall but running the install with "run as admin" option? This tactic have helped me on quite a few software from smaller outfits.

iFix is like a DOS program that's been patched and patched to run on Windows. I agree with the above sentiment that it got too many quirks to list.

Also, if you don't keep IT out of your control environment, you will have many other issues.

Well when I Installed it I was logged in with local admin rights so doing the run as would not really be any different. However, I have tried that method as well with no difference.

You need to give read AND write permissions to those folders and to the registry keys. Use the tool from sysinternals to see where you are being blocked.