PLC with Output Stopwatch

Ammar Ghazali

Hello,

I'm Ammar and still a newbie in PLC. Right now im going through an internship program in a Food Industry. I were given a task which i need to create a system to track downtime in my company. I planned to use Omron CP1E Plc and a stopwatch to record the time. Can u give me suggestion on how to do it because i dont know what kind of stopwatch that can be used. The PLC is used to start/stop and reset the stopwatch.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ammar
Welcome to the forum.
There are several ways to accomplish your task. I would start with doing a search in the Forum for Retentive Timer On. That is a timer that retains its accumulated value when the rung goes false or after a power loss.
Have a look at that and maybe play with it for awhile. Come back if you have more questions.

Ammar
Welcome to the forum.
There are several ways to accomplish your task. I would start with doing a search in the Forum for Retentive Timer On. That is a timer that retains its accumulated value when the rung goes false or after a power loss.
Have a look at that and maybe play with it for awhile. Come back if you have more questions.
i also want it have a display to show how much time it takes for downtime. And my employer ask me that the display must show two things. first is the time downtime starts and the second is the period of the downtime. Hope u can help me.

Thanks

What sort of display are you considering? If it is only a small LCD display which displays two timers you might be better off with an Arduino board and a two line LCD. If you thinking of a monitor style project this will be very costly indeed as you will need a PLC, a display, software, time to program everything. Some PLCs like Mitsubishi Alpha have a LCD build in which can be utilized for your purposes. Cost about 100 bucks I guess. Arduino and LCD cost 20 bucks.

What sort of display are you considering? If it is only a small LCD display which displays two timers you might be better off with an Arduino board and a two line LCD. If you thinking of a monitor style project this will be very costly indeed as you will need a PLC, a display, software, time to program everything. Some PLCs like Mitsubishi Alpha have a LCD build in which can be utilized for your purposes. Cost about 100 bucks I guess. Arduino and LCD cost 20 bucks.

we already have a PLC. I only need a stopwatch right now to be connected with PLC. Plus, i dont know anything about Arduino.

I am not familiar with Omron, there are display accessories available.
I would contact Omron to spec out what you need. Sorry, can't help you any further. But I am sure it is doable.

combi_1.jpg

Sure thing. You need one free output, possible connected to a relay which then starts and stops the clock. Onother output to reset the clock (or manual reset)

Sure thing. You need one free output, possible connected to a relay which then starts and stops the clock. Onother output to reset the clock (or manual reset)
thanks for your help. I already have everything that i need right now except the stopwatch. I already survey it on web but they didnt supply it to malaysia because of the difference of current voltage and the plug.

Thank you so much and goodluck in everything