Slc500 Problems

mann1961

Hi I am having problem with SLC 500 1747-L542 BY ALLEN BRADLEY. THEIR SITE ARE NO HELP TO ME. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO GET SO I CAN TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEMS. WHAT TYPE OF SOFTWARE, HARDWARE AND THE NECCESSARY ITEMS THAT I NEED TO TEST THEM MYSELF. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPERICATED.

First I would suggest using online etiquette and use capital letters when needed..ie not all the time.

Second I would suggest stating what problem you are having.

The AB SLC500 manual is here>http://www.ab.com/manuals/cp/1747-um011c-en-p.pdf

The software is RSLogix500>http://www.software.rockwell.com/rslogix/

If the SLC500 is connected to a machine AND you have the drawings for that machine there are some steps you can take to determine if an input or output is not functioning correctly. It would be even better if you have a copy of the program but sometimes its not needed.

On the plc input and output cards will be led's that light up when an input or output is active...they should if working.

Test your inputs individually to see if the led's light, at the same time record which input is connected to which input device. This you do if no drawing or printed program copy is available.

Test your output devices manually..ie disconnect from the output card and connect manually to test the device. I usually use a N.O. pushbutton connected to power source.

This will tell you whether its a failed input, input device or output device. That eliminates alot.

If you read the manual you will also see there is a section to show you what faults have occured by using the LED's on the processor (not the input/output led's).

slc500

HI!, I don't know what type of problem(s) you are having with the system, other than you are not able to commuicate with the slc500 with the software you have? Trouble shooting is not very hard (IF) you understand what the equipment does in a normal operation. As someone else posted, you can trouble shoot the equipment by checking the input/outputs on each card. This does take more time and depending on how the equipment sensors are arranged or work with each other you might cause what I call a "crash condition" between pieces of inner equipment. Could you explain your problem in alittle more detail?

Steady there hombre!

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO GET SO I CAN TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEMS. WHAT TYPE OF SOFTWARE, HARDWARE AND THE NECCESSARY ITEMS THAT I NEED TO TEST THEM MYSELF.
Answers:
1. What kind of software? Allen-Bradley RSLogix500 or equivalent.

2. Hardware? Laptop computer is preferable and loaded with as much memory and other goodies as you can afford.

3. Necessary equipment? Well, now that is a good one cause nobody knows the answer to that except you. I can tell you that being more patient with AB and us will go a long way toward solving your problem. Speaking of which, if you have time to wait for answers from this or any other forum, your problems can't be to serious.