mitsubishi servo system

hi guys,

I am a plc beginner. Most of our machines are using japanese brands plc, mostly mitsubishi fx and a-series so I am a bit more exposed to mitsubishi plc in terms of programming (particularly discrete input and output only) and troubleshooting, etc. Special modules such as analog I/O and positioning control, etc, I have not tried any. I am interested in programming positioning control of servo motor using fx2n base unit and 2-axis positioning control module fx2n-20gm. Can anyone help me get started? Any help i would surely appreciate.

thanks,
James

Hi,

Do you have 20GM manual and FX plc programming manual ?

My experience is manuals is the only thing you need to work with these modules. But are you not rushing in jumping to servo control from discrete I/O without any special modules ? Because if you are not clear about Mitsubishi concept of buffer memory then you are lost in special modules. I think you should get familiar with concepts before touching servo controls. They are tricky.
I do not want to dishearten you but just make you aware of dangers.

Jump in there and do it

James

My advise is to jump right in and do it. Contact your Mitsubishi Rep and ask him to help you with the project. The Mitsubishi sales engineer will help you. You have to figure out how much torque and horsepower you need to size the components.

The Mitsubishi guys may even come out and help you tune it. Sometimes tuning a servo is not an easy job. My brother built a machine once that had some servos on it and after working a week trying to start it up he decided to hire someone.

When the servo guy showed up he was wearing a Mickey mouse tee shirt and tennis shoes. The guy was defiantly a geek with thick glasses and a plastic pocket protector. He had the machine running with three servos in a half a day.

Doug Hylton

The manuals for the FX Programming and FX2N-10GM or FX2N-20GM should have more than enough information.

Keep in mind that the 10GM/20GM modules also had a separate programming software.

Mitsubishi special modules have their own program that runs independent of PLC CPU. This program has some of its own memory which is called buffer memory. This memory is used to initialise and parameterise the module. The same memory is used to return the results by the module. This memory can be accessed from the PLC PCU as and when required from the program. The addresses for all these functions are predecided by Mitsubishi. You need to refer to the module manual to understan which memory location is to be used for what and program your PLC CPU accordingly. There are special instructions in PLC program like 'TO' and 'FROM' which enables you to access these memory loactions. I hope this will do for the time being.

Grab a manual for any special function module (A Series, Q Series, FX Series, doesn't matter) and look up the table of buffer memory addresses. That's the data. You need to use TO and FROM instructions to get that data back and forth to the processor.