RS Linx loses connection to PLC

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anybody had this issue:

I'm using Studio 5000 v30 and a CompactLogix L33ER. I can go online fine, but if I physically disconnect the Ethernet cable and then reconnect it, RS Linx seems to lose its connection until I reboot. Then I'm good until the next time I disconnect. Doesn't matter whether I go offline in Studio 5000 first or just pull the Ethernet cable. I can still ping the PLC, but it shows up in Linx with a red X. The only work-around I've found is I have created three Ethernet drivers in RSLinx. Once I disconnect, I switch drivers and then can reconnect that way. But once I've used all three, I have to reboot to get back up and running.

I've also noticed that once I reboot, Studio 5000 doesn't seem to be automatically starting RSLinx when I choose Who Active. I have to choose it from the start menu.

My Rockwell software is running on VMWare. I get the same problem whether I use the laptop's built in port or a USB adapter connected directly to the VM.

This is extremely frustrating! Any suggestions?

Jeremy

PS, It just occurred to me to check in the Windows services, and RSLinx was set to Manual startup. I changed it to Automatic, but I'm offsite at the moment, so I won't know if it works until morning. Any other things to check?

Mickey, I didn't get to try your suggestion, was too busy fighting other fires.
However, I wanted to put this out there... I got onsite this morning and RSLinx would not even open! After trying different methods, I finally checked the Windows services, and noticed that the RSLinx service was still in Automatic, as I set it last night, but the service was stopped. So I restarted it. Then when I tried opening RSLinx, I got an error saying I couldn't run RSLinx as a service. So I went back to Windows services, stopped the RSLinx service, and put it in manual. Then, finally, RSLinx opened and worked properly.

Until I unplugged the Ethernet cable....

Jeremy
I don't know if this will help or not but ill through it out there
I had some problems with RSLinx some years ago I don't remember what exactly was happening them bit I contacted Techconnect and whoever it talked to then said to run RSLinx I manual and use the Launch control panel to start and stop the program.
I think it has to do with the way RSLinx shuts down it doesn't save the files correctly or something if it's still open when widows closes.
As that's the way I have been running it for years and have not seen any problems since. also deleting the Harmoney files may help that's always the first thing to try if you have problems connecting. RSLix will only rebuild them if they are not there if they are found it uses them to make the connections.

Thanks, I'll have to try deleting the harmony files. In nine years using AB, I've never had to do that. But I've never had this issue before either, so maybe.

Usually RSLogix launches RSLinx (application, not service) as soon as I choose Who Active. That stopped happening right around the same time as this reconnect issue, so I suspect they're related. When I'm done with this job and have some downtime, I think I'm going to build a new AB VM...

Jeremy, I have seen many times loss of comms to ControlLogix controllers (via an Ethernet bridge module). This was in class, and using RA's own course .ACD files.

We tracked it down to the configuration of 1 or 2 I/O modules being set up for a 0.2mS RPI. Conclusion was that it was eating the available Backplane bandwidth, leaving barely enough for RSLinx to communicate.

This might, just might, have a bearing on your issues with CompactLogix, even though they have separate buses for I/O and Ethernet comms, it just might create a processor bottle-neck.

Also check your System Overhead Time-Slice setting. Too small a value here will impair comms. It defaults to 20mS, but may have been reduced.

What I mostly do is set this relatively high, say 60 or 70%, but I make sure I have the box checked that says "During Unused System Overhead Time Slice - Run Continuous Task". This gives the best of both worlds, ensuring enough "System" time to handle busy asynchrounous messaging, such as RSLinx.

Thanks, but I'm not having a problem getting knocked offline. I stay online unless I cycle power, my computer goes to sleep, I choose go offline, or I unplug the cable. The problem is getting back online.

Mickey, tried it, didn't work.

But here's a new wrinkle. Today I used my WiFi router to connect to the PLC because I needed to be farther away from the panel. I had absolutely no problem reconnecting when using that. It's just the wired connection that is throwing fits. Weird.

EDIT: Also, I tried deleting harmony files, and that didn't help either.

Last edited:
Try turning your WiFi off and only use the Wired cable network
Widows see's then as 2 different networks and will see the WiFi as the default network
And direct communications to the default network first. RSLynx has to be directed to use the none default network
you can use both networks at the same time but it can cause some problems.

Do you mean physically disable the wireless card on my laptop? All my testing of the wired network has happened with my WiFi router powered off. It's just a router I carry around for when my Ethernet cable isn't long enough.

do you have an RJ45 Ethernet Recp on your laptop if you do then you have 2 networks on the laptop (Wi-Fi and Wired ) you could have even more if you have a VM machine installed they usually unstill at least one network in addition to the 2 listed.

In windows go to setup
Select WiFi
turn off
with the Wi-Fi off windows will send the Ethernet communication to the wired network.
by default
By the way I use a wireless access point plugged into the PLC network and connect using the Wi-Fi on my laptop