Ab Slc 5/04 Hsce

plastics

I've got a positioning problem on a plastics machine that has an Allen Bradley SLC 5/04 and equipped with three HSCE cards for speed and position control.

The problem that I am having is that two seporate functions on the machine, which have seporate incrimental rotary encoders and variable speed motors equipped with brakes for each function, or in this case top and bottom platten.

The top and bottom plattens are controlled via the operator input 4 position profile that has been programmed in by the factory and the top and bottom positioning function is all on one page.

This same page also displays the actual value of the top and bottom platten in two differant locations on the same page. However, the actual value is differant even though its the same measurement coming from the same encoders, one for the top and one for the bottom.

I've heard that AB has had some repeatability problems with the HSCE and positioning. Has anyone experianced simular problems? Any help is greatly appreciated.

From your question it is not clear to me whether the problem you are having is that the actual position value which
This same page also displays the actual value of the top and bottom platten in two differant locations on the same page.
is different in each location, when you are expecting them to be the same, OR

that the top and bottom plattens each have two encoders which are showing different values?

You need to break the problem down a bit more. Is this a problem just on the display, or the actual machine positioning, or repeatability? ie we need a more info to work with here.

AB SLC 5/04 HSCE

I appologize for the confusion, the actual value for the top platen is displayed at the top of the platen position and control screen and it reads an actual value of say, 450mm. There is a second actual value for the top platten that is displayed at the bottom of the same page, platen position and control, which is generally 20 to 30 mm differant than the aformentioned value.

I would expect these actual values to display the same position, as the referance for this position is the same, the top platten only has one encoder. I believe that although this may be a problem, I think that it is just a symptom of the bigger problem.

You hit it right on the head, this is a repeatability problem. Not only do these values conflict each other but both the top and bottom platen's actual stop position is random, exhibiting a +- 12.5mm variance when the machine is supposed to hold a +-2.5mm.

Since it is odd that one page would display same info twice, I suspect that there is a difference in displays caused by
1 one is real position of platten betwwen min and max
other is real posn with an offset added. This offset being determined by the mould size, learned by the machine when that die installed.
2 other is position of actuators piston, which is not linear to platen position due to actuator mechanism of mechanical advantage, such as a toggle system.
Are either of these possible on your machine?
What does the machine make?