question on micrologix 1400 series b

pajo

Firsts of all to make it clear I am novice at programming and controllers. I was called to a costumer who has four machines that do identical work with same controller Micrologix 1400 and panelview 1000 plus for hmi . The costumer wanted a small change in the code on all machines so my idea was since it is the same program to upload the program from one machine make the code change and reinstall it on all processors with their respective ip and node changes. I uploaded the program from machine #1 and made changes and downloaded the improved program back to machine #1 following the routine of putting the processor in program and run mode. Tested new code out and it worked fine so proceeded to machine #2 processor first uploaded the original program and then proceeded in to downloading the improved program from machine #1 in to machine #2 . Prior to downloading the program changed the Node number and ip address in the controller properties to match machine #2 and also changed the ip address in the channel configuration channel one. Proceeded to download the new code and got prompted just like a regular download in which I continued and after the download was complete I switched the processor from program to run mode and all was fine. I proceeded to do a power cycle for the setting to take place and now the controller will not power up. I have not checked for power at controller but will be going back to it tomorrow and was wondering if I can get on advise on what can I check or do to the controller if power at controller is ok. Sorry on a long post and thank you on all of your responces.

What do you mean by "will not power up"?

Is the controller not going to run mode, or do you get no indation lights on the controller whatsoever? If you have no lights, it's either insufficient power or a bad controller.

Not going to run mode could be a fault- either hardware or program.

The only thing that I get from the controller when the circuit breaker is switched on is just a flicker of the power and I believe the fault led, it happens too fast for me to see. Another words blank display screen. First thing I will check tomorrow is stable power at Controller but was wondering if power is present at Controller and is still not powering it up is there anything I can do to revive it. Can just a program download with above mentioned settings and no flags of any kind do this to a controller.

Last edited:
How do you know all 4 are the same? Did the customer state this, did you do an upload on each and compare, etc.? For future, don't assume. Upload each processor and do a compare to make sure. In the end, it would have probably been just as quick to copy and paste the code while online, no need to download. A ML1400 allows online editing.

It is not unusual for powersupply to die when power has been turned off. I've seen it lots of times with especially Siemens sitop powersupply's and also in pc's and other equipment.

a straw at which to grasp ...

I'm betting that you have a copy of the program (RSS extension) on your laptop ...

if you can, open the file and check the settings shown in the screen shot below ... if any of those are different from the defaults that I've shown, then post again and tell us what they are ...

the idea:

your processor might have a Memory Module installed - sort of like a "backup" program that might be automatically "reloading" when you start it up ...

good luck with it ...

MMI.PNG

Last edited: