PanelView Standard 600/300 Equivalents for the future?

My company just sucks for job-specific technical training

Dont worry you are not alone, we are probably one of, if not the world market leader in our field and gross hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue per year.
But in the nearly 8 years I have been here not 1 dime has been spent toward training me or anyone else for that matter in automation.

I have a feeling I might get some push back with the Redlion HMIs since everyone at our facility seems to use Allen Bradley

Same here we are about 90% A.B. with a small amount of Siemens and Schnieder Electric which were installed by vendors for specific pieces of machinery.
If you do have to stick with A.B. the Factory Talk Software is not that bad to learn and get around in.

Is there any good training for this stuff?

School of hard knocks / trial and error. (And this Forum of course)
Its a slow process but the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter all the time.

Check out this site and see if looks like something you would be interest in. For the money it looks better than the Rockwell classes I have seen advertised.
http://www.ronbeaufort.com/main_frame_page.htm
(Rons going to have to give me a discount, second time today I have plugged his course)

If you do go to buy the Redlion HMI check out Wesco for price, lowest I have found so far in this area. If you need contact info for them PM me.

BCS

Last edited:
Seems to me that HMIs have a smaller lifespan than the PLC itself. My project in 2009 was due to the fact we couldn't buy any HMI's - they were AB "DTAM" units going to a SLC 5/02. I couldn't find anything at the time that easily integrated with the PLC, so I upgraded to a 5/03 at the same time.

I'd love to if I knew more about it and how to do it. It has been awhile since I was in school for this stuff, and a lot has changed. Anything to make things work better and easier, I'm all in. My company just sucks for job-specific technical training. I do most of my training from hands on trial and error, google and youtube videos these days. So I tend to stick with what I already know or what I've just learned until I have free time to play.
CeeDee,
This is actually very simple to do. The hard part is running the Cat 5 Cable. For the both the SLC and the Micologix (if it is not a 1100 or 1400) you can use the 1761-NET-ENI to convert the Ethernet/IP to DF1 Protocol. I have done this on a couple of SLC 504 and ML 1200 applications. It works very well. Depending on the application and the PLC used it may be cheaper to upgrade your Micrologix to a 1100. The ENI cost about the same as a ML1100 so keep that in mind.

You weren't kidding about that price for the 1761-NET-ENI... good grief! A lot cheaper on ebay. I'm still trying to learn and figure out all the benefits of Eth/IP over the tried and true DF1 and DH485 Protocol for A-B stuff. I've had a lot of success with DH485 and with 1761-NET-AIC linking everything together. All I know (at this time)is it is the latest and greatest and uses IP addressing.