MicroLogix 1200 to Profibus Gateway

Niko1979

Hi,

I am currently trying to connect a MicroLogix 1200 PLC (1762-L40BWAR) to a Prosoft Profibus Master/Slave Gateway module (5105-DFCM-PDPS). The questions I have for anyone who has dealt with this configuration are:
  • Do I set the DF-1 port 0 to a master or slave?
  • Does the PLC have to send signals or does the Gateway device take care of this?
  • Is there a way to find out if the signals are being sent between the devices without a Profibus Master unit controlling the Gateway?
I have tried calling the Prosoft technical support, but I cannot get any help since they have been very busy lately. I am new to these type of devices, so please bear with me if I made a jargon mistake. If anyone can help, I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Regards,

Nik

Niko..

The DFCM (DF1) driver can act as the master or slave. If you set the DFCM driver as the master, then you wouldn't have to modify your logic.

If you setup your DFCM commands to communicate with the ML1200, then on the ML1200 side, you shouldn't need to do a thing other than ensure the port settings match.

Using the diagnostic tools, the 5105 gateway has a built in data analyzer that enables you to see the raw DF1 traffic going between the gateway and the ML1200. It also has a data map that allows you to see values you're sending/receiving. For instance, if you setup a DFCM command to read from N7:0 (that has a value of 1234) on the ML1200, then you'll be able to see this value of '1234' in the data map.

About Prosoft being to busy to help, call your distributor or local Prosoft rep and explain the situation.

CH

Hi y2kmfic,

Thanks for you reply.

I did figure out how to get them to communicate. My main problem was that the error protocol on each end was not set to the same protocol! A simple mistake, but when you're doing this for the first time, and easy one to overlook.

Prosoft did eventually get back to me and were very helpful.

Regards,

Nik