You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 2nd, 2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Dhitzfelder
United States

RSLogix5000 link with RPI

Hello, all.

I have purchased a Raspberry Pi, and intend to use it something like a high speed counter (It hasn't arrived yet). At this point, I intend to use the PyComm module to communicate with the PLC.

Question: from what I can see of the code, am I correct in assuming that the PI initiates all communication with the PLC? If so, is there any setup necessary on the PLC end other than creating tags to be read or written to?
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:08 PM   #2
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

You have the right idea, nothing will need to be done on the PLC end, all of the work will be done you the Pi.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Dhitzfelder
United States

Cool, Thanks dmroeder!

Out of curiosity, is there another alternative that sets up the PI as an ethernet device for the PLC? I looked at setting it up for Modbus TCP as well, but from what I'm seeing on forums, that's a different language than AB talks...
Old February 2nd, 2019, 07:13 PM   #4
dmroeder
United States

There isn't anything that I'm aware of that would essentially let you add a Pi to the I/O tree if that is what you are thinking.

There are modbus TCP projects on github. Here is one (I've never used it):

https://github.com/sourceperl/pyModbusTCP
Old February 3rd, 2019, 01:28 AM   #5
kallileo
Greece

You can install Codesys runtime on raspberry pi and make either Modbus tpc client or server in order to communicate with your AB PLC. You can even use it as Ethenet/IP scanner or adapter.

https://store.codesys.com/codesys-co...ml?___store=en
Old February 4th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Dhitzfelder
United States

Kallileo, Thanks for the response. I'm going to play with it for sure , but from everything I can see, Allen Bradley doesn't talk to modbus TCU.
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:09 AM   #7
cardosocea
United Kingdom

I believe AB does communicate via Modbus, but it's all done via software... as in you download a subroutine that will do that for you.

I had a look a while back and it looked ok. Not sure if it's only available through techconnect, though.

Have you checked pylogix for Python?

Last edited by cardosocea; February 4th, 2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: pylogix hint
Old February 4th, 2019, 10:17 AM   #8
gothroach
Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhitzfelder View Post
Kallileo, Thanks for the response. I'm going to play with it for sure , but from everything I can see, Allen Bradley doesn't talk to modbus TCU.
You can do Modbus TCP with Studio 5000, but it's not a built-in. Rockwell has sample Modbus TCP master and slave implementations on the KB. It takes a fair amount of memory, but I've used it in the past to talk to Modbus VFDs successfully.

Overview PDF from Digi
KB With Program Links

EDIT: cadosocea beat me to it! I'll leave the links though.

Last edited by gothroach; February 4th, 2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Beaten to the punch.
Old February 4th, 2019, 01:00 PM   #9
Dhitzfelder
United States

pylogix is probably what I will go with.

As I understand it, the PLC doesn't recognize it as an I/O device, it just reads/modifies the tags similar to the way a user would do so using the ControLogix software. That's fine, but the PLC wouldn't think anything's wrong if it doesn't get any input, so I'll have to incorporate a heartbeat and program error handling for no input.

As an aside, it looks like it would be much simpler to use the PI as an interface for any other modbus devices than to use the code provided by RS Logix to configure the PLC as a modbus...
Old February 5th, 2019, 05:52 PM   #10
Jeev
Australia

I'm interested in learning a bit more about the R-Pi <-> AB comms. What PyCom parts are you guys using?
Old February 7th, 2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Dhitzfelder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
I'm interested in learning a bit more about the R-Pi <-> AB comms. What PyCom parts are you guys using?
https://pypi.org/project/pycomm/

I started using PyLogix (available at GitHub), and it is much easier to impliment.

just create an instance of class PLC(), i.e.
myPLC = PLC()

assign an IP address to it:
myPLC.IPAddress = 192.168.30.1

write tags: (to a tag in the PLC named "test", the integer value of 1000)
myPLC.Write("test", 1000)

read from tag: (place value in variable "sample" in the pi)
sample = myPLC.Read("test")

good instructions are available here:
https://github.com/dmroeder/pylogix

Last edited by Dhitzfelder; February 7th, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old February 8th, 2019, 12:52 AM   #12
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhitzfelder View Post
pylogix is probably what I will go with.

As I understand it, the PLC doesn't recognize it as an I/O device, it just reads/modifies the tags similar to the way a user would do so using the ControLogix software. That's fine, but the PLC wouldn't think anything's wrong if it doesn't get any input, so I'll have to incorporate a heartbeat and program error handling for no input.

As an aside, it looks like it would be much simpler to use the PI as an interface for any other modbus devices than to use the code provided by RS Logix to configure the PLC as a modbus...
Your post got me thinking... Could I add a module to pylogix that would act as a real I/O device? The answer is yes, or at least I have a working proof of concept. In fact, I was able to make an EDS file that allows you to add a custom "pylogix" module to the tree, though I probably won't go that route since I'm not an ODVA member with an official vendor ID.

But if I can work out all of the details, I may add a module to pylogix that will connect with a generic Ethernet module.
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Phil Buchanan
United States

I have a source for Pi drivers for Ethernet IP if that may serve better on the comms side. PM me if you want details.

http://www.KeyAutomationTraining.com
Old February 10th, 2019, 04:35 PM   #14
ASF
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
Your post got me thinking... Could I add a module to pylogix that would act as a real I/O device? The answer is yes, or at least I have a working proof of concept. In fact, I was able to make an EDS file that allows you to add a custom "pylogix" module to the tree, though I probably won't go that route since I'm not an ODVA member with an official vendor ID.

But if I can work out all of the details, I may add a module to pylogix that will connect with a generic Ethernet module.

I'd be interested in this!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum