Working with CIP MSG RSLogix 5000

bnelson14

I am trying to send an CIP MSG from a RSlogix 5000 to a 485/ethernetIp device.

I have connected and got a response back giving me the vendor number and such from the device to compactlogix.

I am trying to "Set attribute Single" but I need to send a Data to the device in the following:0x03 0xF5 0x01 0x03 0x00

I did set the CIP Generic Msg with its service code, class, instance, and attribute.

Guess my question is, how do I set up the Source Element to send that Data string?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had to do this but I think it will work.

Create a tag that is a SINT array five elements long. Use the [0] index of the tag as the Source Element and use 5 as the Source Length. Populate the SINT array with the data you listed and, theoretically, you should be good.

Keith

I tried your idea, but when it runs I get an error. I did use RSNetWorx and set everything up in the Class Instance Editor. I came across and error code on there. [0x0402] Resource unavailable.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

That sounds exactly like a Modbus Mapping entry in a GridConnect Net485 device.

When you request a mapping entry like that, the device tries to verify that it's valid on the Modbus side. If you don't have your device set up correctly on the Modbus side, you'll get an error reply on the CIP side.

Those devices are inexpensive in part because they're so tricky to set up ! Not impossible, but they require both expertise in CIP messaging and in Modbus.

Your next steps will be to capture that error code and carefully examine and test the Modbus side of the device to be sure the Map Entry refers to an accessible Modbus address.

you are correct it is a Grid connect Net485 device. I was able to use RSNetWorx to set baud rate, data bit, but every time I try to set the input/output mapping I get resource unavailable. Set by step I am getting further.

When I worked with the GridConnect, I connected the RS485 side to an RS485/USB interface and ran ModSim32 on my PC.

That way I could configure and see the Modbus packets on the serial side, while experimenting with the configuration of the Map Entries.

Once you get one of those devices set up, it's easy to configure more by using TFTP to send the configuration text file to it.

But the initial configuration takes a lot of expertise. In low volumes, it's pretty easy to justify the higher cost of some of the more expensive options (Digi One IA, RTA, HMS Communicator, etc).