5069-IB16 not working?

BAJ

I've got a weird one. I'm helping a customer with a CompactLogix system. They have a 5069-IB16 with several spare inputs and we are trying to add a dry-contact pressure switch as an input, but the 5069-IB16 is not registering the 24vdc that is passed to the input terminal as "on", either via the LED on the front or in Logix5k.

The pressure switch is new, mounted inside the same panel as the 5069-IB16. I confirmed the wiring, confirmed the N.O. contacts are working with my ohm meter when I cycle air on and off, confirmed the 24vdc is making it to the switch, confirmed the 24vdc is making it to the 5069-IB16. I tried a couple other spare inputs, same result.

I tried jumping the 24vdc direct to the 5069 terminal, then it lights up and registers. I get 23.8vdc everywhere I measure, so there is no voltage drop in the system. If I jump 24vdc supply to the input WHILE the pressure switch is wired to the same, the LED comes on and will stay on when I remove the 24vdc source jumper. However when the pressure switch cycles off-on, the 5069-IB16 fails to register the 23.8vdc on it's terminals coming through the pressure switch.

I tried running all new wiring to the switch, same result.

The DMM I have is a Fluke, but a less expensive one. It measures 0.2 ohms across the pressure switch contacts when they are closed, OL when they are open. I also measure 6mA going through the pressure switch when it's closed and wired to the 5069-IB16 module (multiple spare inputs tried), which is the exact value specified in the manual as nominal for the 5069-IB16.

Anybody every seen anything like this? I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
-Brad

Last edited:
I would try using the same wiring with a different type of sensor, maybe a photocell with a reflector. If that works then the issue lies with the pressure sensor, if it doesn't then it must be the wiring.

We had this problem before... the only fix was to remove the filter in the module setup. Hope it works for you! (y)

I already replaced the original wires. The wires are 3' long. Both sets of wiring were brand-new wire, installed today, one set by a journeyman electrician earlier today, the second set by me an hour ago. Electrician used 2 wires in a 20-4 cable, I ran two separate 16awg.

I pulled the wires off the pressure switch and wire-nutted them, still doesn't work. I still have 23.8vdc on the 5069-IB16 terminal, and if I remove the wire nut and put my DMM in the circuit I still get 6mA. Every indication at the 5069-IB16 terminals proves the input is on, except the 5069-IB16 itself. I think the module is whacked.

Did you try removing the filter settings in the module? I'm referring to the module config screen in Logix Designer.

I found that the 5069-IB module inputs are very sensitivity to nearby electrical noise, like off a VFD. My customer had to isolate them more so than normal to get some inputs to act correctly, same problem as you're experiencing. ( didn't help that he was trying to get away without using shielded motor cables off the VFDs ).

Are you sure the pressure switch is a PNP device and not NPN?

It's neither, it's dry contacts. And the fact that it switches the 24vdc to the 5069-IB16 at the 5069-IB16-specified 6mA when we cycle the air pressure pretty much rules out an issue with the pressure switch.

Any chance you need a pull-up or pull-down resistor?
Poet.

I tried a 250 ohm (all I had with me), didn't help. I was not surprised as the PS is dry-contacts and the 5069-IB16 doesn't require it. Or I should say it's not documented as needing a pull up resistor.

Last edited:
I found that the 5069-IB module inputs are very sensitivity to nearby electrical noise, like off a VFD. My customer had to isolate them more so than normal to get some inputs to act correctly, same problem as you're experiencing. ( didn't help that he was trying to get away without using shielded motor cables off the VFDs ).

Nice. There are two K350's and a PF525 in the bottom of the panel, ~3' from the 5069-IB16, but the wiring for the PS runs past them in panduit.

If this is the case, perhaps AB should make and sell an industrial-grade version?

Did you try removing the filter settings in the module? I'm referring to the module config screen in Logix Designer.

I did not try that, and sorry I missed your previous post. I looked at those settings, but thought it was just for debounce.

So the 1ms default filter setting can prevent the module from reading a constant 24vdc at the input?