What is this Factory talk I heard of this week?

plcnewbie

I was at an expo this week and they talked about "Factory Talk" Where can I get more info? Google didnt turn up much.

Thanks

In my understanding they pus it more of a "concept" than a thing.

Its essentially a common datasource for everything requiring info on a network, from PLC's, HMI, to reporting servers etc.

Thats what I took it as also. But they also talked about the use of system wide tags as in create it in one place and you can use it whereever else you want. I think of this as produced/consumed. Are they talking something different now? As in they said instead of reading the tag it would only send data if the value changed.

This reminds me of the whole MS .NET thing and the Foxboro's Archestra. It's more of a marketing term than anything else.

I noticed Archestra is not mentioned anymore on Foxboro's home page.. hummm. The marketing guy must got canned.

Factory talk is just Allen Bradleys way of trying to get everyone in the "industry" talking Allen-Bradley. Pay no attention ( in my mind) to "Factory Talk". Learn what I call "Field Talk", terms that can be applied to any supplier, marketer, manufacturer. LOL

But they also talked about the use of system wide tags as in create it in one place and you can use it whereever else you want.

Most PLC manufacturers have or are heading in this direction. There is a common tag file that is used by the manufacturers various pieces of software to save you having to type them in a lot of times.

I do not know how long AB have had this available but Omron have had it for several years now. You just tick a box in CX-Programmer to link the tag to CX-Server. CX-Server is the binding between all Omron software. Very similar I should think.

I think i can explain the one data source thing....

In the case of RSView SE or ME it directly browses to the CLX processor (if used) and give the native plc tag name. If you running a distributed system, it does this ONCE and the server dishes out the data to each client.

Wonder if thats what they are on about.

FactoryTalk directory software - FactoryTalk Directory software defines were system data is located to allow for quicker access. FactoryTalk Directory software provides a common address book of factory resources that are shared among FactoryTalk-enabled products.

FactoryTalk services platform - The FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) is a service-oriented architecture (see SOA) that delivers value through FactoryTalk-enabled products. This platform reduces the customer learning curve and project engineering time through commonality and reuse. For example, activation, FactoryTalk Directory, security, diagnostics, audit, live data, and alarms and events.

Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk Product:

• Production Management (FT Batch, FT Scheduler, FT Production Centre)
  • Data Management (FT Historian SE, FT Historian Classic, FT Transaction Manager & FT Gateway)
  • Asset Management (FT Asset Centre)
  • Quality & Compliance
  • Performance & Visibility (FTView ME, FTView SE, FT Metrics, FT Portal & RS View 32)
  • Design & Configuration (RS Logix, RSLinx & RSNetWork)

FactoryTalk directory software - FactoryTalk Directory software defines were system data is located to allow for quicker access. FactoryTalk Directory software provides a common address book of factory resources that are shared among FactoryTalk-enabled products.

FactoryTalk services platform - The FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) is a service-oriented architecture (see SOA) that delivers value through FactoryTalk-enabled products. This platform reduces the customer learning curve and project engineering time through commonality and reuse. For example, activation, FactoryTalk Directory, security, diagnostics, audit, live data, and alarms and events.

Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk Product:

• Production Management (FT Batch, FT Scheduler, FT Production Centre)
  • Data Management (FT Historian SE, FT Historian Classic, FT Transaction Manager & FT Gateway)
  • Asset Management (FT Asset Centre)
  • Quality & Compliance
  • Performance & Visibility (FTView ME, FTView SE, FT Metrics, FT Portal & RS View 32)
  • Design & Configuration (RS Logix, RSLinx & RSNetWork)

What a C.O.S. (the first word in my akronym is crock).

Factory Talk is marketing mumbo jumbo, what it really should be called is "Registry Grenade".

Five years later it's still selling like hot cakes...

Last edited:
I really think that threads should not be able to be re-opened after 1 year.

It's straightforward to link to old ones, especially if you also summarize what the contents are for a new reader.

I wonder what would motivate a first-time poster to respond to something from 2006 ?!