Ignition SCADA questions

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear all,

I am considering using Ignition SCADA for the first time and I have some questions.
The first question is if it exclusively using OPC for connection to the PLCs or is there are native drivers available for AB Micrologix, Siemens and Modbus TCP/IP. If an OPC is required then I guess it should be a third party like Matrikon or Kepware.
The second question is what is ment by "Historical tags". If I just want to datalog a motor current is that a Historical tag? From my WinCC experience I know that the basic WinCC runtime gives you the capability to datalog 512 tags. If more is required then the archives option needs to be purchased? Is this something similar with Ignition, or "Historical tags" are simple datalog tags?
Another question is what in your opinion is the degree of difficulty to get going with it, compared to WinCC and Citect.
I see they have the software prices on their site? Do they have a Distributor network? Do you buy online? I need to purchase it from Greece.

Is there a functional DEMO version available?

Regards.

The demo version is fully functional; it will run for two hours before needing to be reset.

Installation is the easiest and fastest I have ever seen for SCADA software. You should be able to download and install it in under an hour.

They sell directly and via integrators, but for Greece you would probably buy direct from them.

They have built-in drivers for Modbus/TCP, Allen-Bradley Ethernet, and Siemens Ethernet. Any other protocols you will need to buy a third party OPC-UA server like Matrikon or Kepware.

I will let more experienced people explain how the historical tags work. Ignition is closely coupled to an SQL database, so data logging is something they do extremely well. What I'm not very familiar with is how the various license features work.

you should spend a few minutes on their website. they are very open about everything that you asked.

depending on which package you buy, will decide if you get the sqltags historian. only some of the cheaper single client licenses dont have it. even without it you could use transaction groups or scripting to write your tag values to a database and then use the chart component to display it.

Hello,

> Installation is the easiest and fastest I have ever seen for SCADA software. You should
> be able to download and install it in under an hour.

PeakHMI, depending on download speed, it could be downloaded and installed in 15 minutes.

Hello,

> Installation is the easiest and fastest I have ever seen for SCADA software. You should
> be able to download and install it in under an hour.

PeakHMI, depending on download speed, it could be downloaded and installed in 15 minutes.

You can say the same for Ignition, Ken was being extremely conservative.

The SQL Bridge Module handles Data Logging and SQLTags Historian. If you just want Data Logging, for the likes of your motor current tags, etc., then you can buy the limited edition of SQL Bridge, which does not have the Historian, but just does Data Logging. SQL Bridge can be purchased in a package such as "The Works", or individually, as full or limited.

The Vision Module provides Ignition Designer for creating the clients and pushing them out. It also includes the Symbol Factory graphical library. You can have unlimited clients, screens and access to the Historian data if installed. Likewise, you can buy a limited edition of the Vision Module, which only included licenses for 5 clients. Again, it comes in The Works package, or separately.

Support & Upgrades...the gotcha?

Phone Support costs 15% of total spend to date.
Upgrades cost 15% of total spend to date.
Together they cost 24% of total spend to date.

So a total spend of say $10,000 would be $2,400/annum for both, or $1,500/annum for either on their own.

Also, the OPC-UA Server is free, in case you weren't aware.

To "get going"? I would say is pretty easy compared to Citect, etc.

Regards,
George

PLC Drivers - They offer AB, Siemens, and Modbus Ethernet drivers for free https://inductiveautomation.com/products/ignitionopc/drivers or you can use a 3rd party OPC server.

Historical tags - You set up a tag and tell Ignition to log the data, no limit on the number of tags. If you are feeling adventurous or have specific requirements you can set up your own logging with Transaction Groups.

Database - Ignition requires a database to connect to. I prefer MySQL and it's free. https://inductiveautomation.com/resources/technical/sqldatabases

Degree of difficulty - I would say it's comparable to most SCADA software.

Fully functional demo - https://inductiveautomation.com/downloads/ignition

There is no "historical" tag per say. Every tag in the system can have history enabled. There is no software imposed restrictions on the number of tags you can store historical data on.
If you can make the trip, they have world class training. If not, there is some excellent help in the forums. Most members are able to help as well. As for the difficulty, at a high level, it is very similar.

Inductive Automation does not have a distributor network. You can buy it online, or through an account rep. I can also help facilitate this if required.