data collection from a ML1400

robw53

i am after a bit of advice on the best way to setup some form of data collection over ethernet from a micrologix 1400, what i want to do is record around 15 seperate pieces of information at 6am and 6pm and put them into a spreadsheet for the guys in the office to look at, but ive not done this before so i wouldnt no the best way to do it, from what i have read before this would be an OPC?? using a version of linx other than the lite version? i.e single node? would the host computer need anything other than a version of linx and excel?

cheers in advance

Rob

Is there an HMI on the network that could pull these values for you? Does your ML1400 have a real time clock?

I would avoid using excel. It makes for an unreliable data collection system, unless you have the Excel user open a file and start the polling operation manually (Macro button).

there is a PV+700 going into this panel, as far as networks it will be stand alone but if we go for the data logging it will connect to the computer/SAP network not a PLC network.

and yes i made sure it had a RTC before i purchased it.

ok well i am open to any other form of software if not excel, but i could buffer the data in the PLC and then when the six sigma guy gets to work he could then switch his PC on open up excel and then upload his figures from the PLC, as there wouldnt be a dedicated pc which would be collecting the data, not yet anyway

Rob

Hi,

Well the PCCCOPC program could get the data from the ML1400 into a format an OPC client could access.

Using PeakHMI, you could configure a task or many task to save the data to an Excel spreadsheet or really any ODBC accessible database table, at configured times.

You can use the demo version to test that it works for you.

i have already been on there site and checked out the free downloads, i think i will have a play with it once the panel is fitted, as this is something that can be played about with once the new panel is up and running.

so is it the PCCCOPC software that would be best suited as your reply seams to lead me to think they maybe another piece of software other than the PCCCOPC

If you know a little .NET programming you could use Archies Advanced HMI Micrologix driver to fetch data into an SQL database and then either use an SQL viewer, or throw it up on a webpage.

Hi.
Use the inbuilt data log function of the micrologix 1400.
Then use the free data log extraction tool from Rockwell that will extract the data from the ML1400 into a spreadsheet at the times you set it up for.
Free version of RSLinx is all that is required.

Regards Alan Case

In addition to all these other fine suggestions, I think your PV700+ is also capable of logging to a network location and/or a CF card for redundancy.

unfortunatly ive not done any .NET programming but i think alan and okie have an easy way.

with both of your suggestions would i be required to have the host computer always connected to work correctly?

im torn between the two, i like the idea of using the free software alan suggested, but if i could send the data on a daily basis automatically to a network location then that would save any messing and would be viewable by anyone who wishes to see it? am i correct okie? what sort of format could this be saved onto the network as?

Rob

i think thats my ultimate goal, being able to automatically collect the data and store it on the network which would allow anybody to access this

Hi.
The free software from rockwell does exactly what you want.
You can schedule when you want to extract the logs from the PLC and where you want to store the excel spreadsheet with the data.
Regards Alan

Hello,
I have been doing the same thing for about 8 years. in the past i used a simple DDE link from excel to the PLC. Like you say it requires a higher version of Linx, and also newer versions of excel no longer support DDE. Now i have linked all my plcs to a Red Lion HMI via Modbus TCP. (you can also use ethernet). The HMI has a web server and a data logger built in. with a web server, anyone can access it through IE and view the data. The logger can save a csv file to a flash card for permanent record. The PV probably does the same thing.
Just a thought