VFD question

IdealDan

Hi Guys
Just a quick one.

I want to procure a soft starter for a Pump Motor
I want to confirm this: IS SOFT STARTER SAME AS A VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE?

No!

I was very likely to stop just with the above answer, but let me continue a little. With soft starter you can gradually increase to nominal speed(50/60 Hz) whatever is the line frequency. With VFD you can run the motor at the frequency you want continuously or you can change it continuously to adjust (in your case) output flow or pressure or whatever you would like to control on your pump.

No!

I was very likely to stop just with the above answer, but let me continue a little. With soft starter you can gradually increase to nominal speed(50/60 Hz) whatever is the line frequency. With VFD you can run the motor at the frequency you want continuously or you can change it continuously to adjust (in your case) output flow or pressure or whatever you would like to control on your pump.
Thanks

mdim is correct, they are not the same thing.
There is such a thing as a soft start. It's not a full blown VFD, but only a soft start that ramps up to line frequency/voltage on start. I have a couple at work on 75HP motors, the application does not need full capabilities a VFD can provide, so a considerably less expensive soft start was used instead of a large VFD that could cost 5 thousand dollars or more.

Last edited:
mdim is correct, they are not the same thing.
There is such a thing as a soft start. It's not a full blown VFD, but only a soft start that ramps up to line frequency/voltage on start. I have a couple at work on 75HP motors, the application does not need full capabilities a VFD can provide, so a considerably less expensive soft start was used instead of a large VFD that could cost 5 thousand dollars or more.

A soft start drive does not vary it's output frequency, only it's output voltage.

There's a few minor advantages of a soft start if you don't need to run anything but 60Hz, but these days for small motors I don't bother with them as the cost vs. a VFD is insignificant.

a softstart is like an electronic resistor that limit voltage and current to the motor at time of starting. Once started, speed is fixed like a direct online starter. It is like slipping the clutch of a manual car. The incomming power want the motor to go full speed but the load cannot take it and the clutch slip to slowly give the torque without breaking an axle.

The VFD transform your ac utility line into a DC bank and revert it to AC at the requested frequency. Motor output frequency is no longer related to AC input. So you can modulate speed as you wish by changing the output frequency. Starting a motor with a VFD is also easier because instead of the clutch slip it is like a CVT transmission, you start with a low frequency that give less stress and slipping than you increase it.

Last edited:
With a soft start you have to check the documentation for the number of allowed starts per hour. For some inexpensive soft starts this number can be very low like 5 or 6. We had a customer blow up their soft start by not following the limits.

With a vfd, a regular stop doesn’t normally power down the drive, it just drops the run signal so this is less of an issue. However, once you do power down the VFD then there is usually a wait for capacitor discharge before re energizing.

And most (some?) soft starters come with mechanical contacts that bypass the VFD after the starter has done its job so that there are no additional VFD losses.

Compiled:
Soft Starters;
  1. A Soft Starter changes VOLTAGE only, and since torque varies as the square of the applied voltage, torque is reduced, then since current follows torque, current is reduced.
  2. Frequency through a Soft Starter is always the same as line frequency.
  3. If you reduce voltage/torque/current with a soft starter for too long, the motor will never finish accelerating and stall.
  4. So a Soft Starter can ONLY be used in machines that will end up running at full speed. If you need to change speed, it cannot work.
  5. A 3 phase Soft Starter gives off heat at about 4-1/2W per running load amp, so if enclosed, you must have adequate ventilation. But if you can’t ventilate, you typically use a “bypass contactor” once it is done ramping, since the motor will be running Across-the-Line (DOL) at that point anyway. This avoids having to deal with all that excess heat. Some Soft Starters include that, some do not but it can always be added.
  6. There are cheap versions of Soft Starters that only use SCRs on 2 of the 3 phases to reduce costs; the 3rd pole is a piece of bus bar. These put the motor at risk and cause added motor stress so they should be avoided if possible.

VFDs;
  1. A VFD converts AC to DC, then recreates a “pseudo (fake) AC output to the motor.
  2. In doing so, if can create any combination of voltage and frequency it is commanded to do.
  3. AC induction motors are designed to produce a given amount of torque at a particular ratio of voltage and frequency (+-10%), ie 460V 60Hz is a V/Hz ratio of 7.67:1, coincidentally 380V 50Hz is 7.6:1, almost the same and in fact close enough to be interchangeable.
  4. So by maintaining that V/Hz ratio the motor is designed for, a VFD allows a motor to provide full torque at any speed.
  5. Because of that, a VFD can accelerate a motor FASTER than a Soft Starter, or with less current without having to be concerned for the length of time.
  6. But a VFD is, for the most part, 5-10x more expensive than a Soft Starter, so if a machine does not need to be changing speed, a Soft Starter is more economical.
  7. It is very difficult to safely bypass a VFD while the motor is running, so the heat created by a VFD, roughly 3% of the load, must be dealt with either by ventilation or by using a sealed enclosure and an Air Conditioner.

And most (some?) soft starters come with mechanical contacts that bypass the VFD after the starter has done its job so that there are no additional VFD losses.

I could have phrased that better, rather than "VFD losses", it should be "semiconductor losses". There's no reason to continuously run through the soft start part of the controller once the motor is up to speed.

The better soft starters have parallel contacts that bypass the electronics. Not all of them do, so do your research.

But a VFD is, for the most part, 5-10x more expensive than a Soft Starter, so if a machine does not need to be changing speed, a Soft Starter is more economical.
[/LIST]
Please send me part numbers of soft starters 10x cheaper than a VFD.

A VFD can be setup to be more efficient than a soft start+DOL even at line frequency, when the load is less than the nominal load.

Please send me part numbers of soft starters 10x cheaper than a VFD.

Medium voltage.

Rough order of magnitude...

1000HP MV Soft starter, $20k,

1000HP MV-VFD, $200k+

A VFD can be setup to be more efficient than a soft start+DOL even at line frequency, when the load is less than the nominal load.

Well, if we are going to discuss the "energy saving" principal of reducing magnetic flux under light load conditions (Nola Principal), then many soft starters can do that too (when not in bypass). IMHO it's not enough to get excited about either way though. If your load is less than the motor is sized for, and you have a VFD, you can probably lower the speed too, save even more money.