Logic 5000 question

justblaze

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

I haven't dealt with Allen Bradley my self but I have wondered the reason why everyone has a bunch of different versions of Logix 5000 installed. Does the latest version not work with older Compact Logix controllers? Can you not update the firmware on the controller?
I am also curious why RsLinx is a separate utility. Why isn't it built into Logix and Factory Talk?

Thank you in advance.

The later versions have more features that the firmware of the earlier processors would not recognise.
A lot of work places / factories are happy with the firmware version they are running.
They do not wish to upgrade the firmware of their processors.
If you have all the versions installed on your computer you do not have to select a version to start. They all seem to come under the one umbrella sowhen you open a project the correct version will be used.
Regards Alan Case

Maybe.

Yes, you can.

RSLinx is used by many other products besides RSLogix. Making it a separate tool means you only have to setup comms once and all those programs can use it. That way you don't have to set up the same comm settings in each program.

OG