Working professionally with PLCs

Lc1

Hi,
I am not sure if this has came up before but I was wondering how to work professionally with PLCs. Has anyone done some small programming jobs outside of their normal job and if so how do you go about it?

Thanks

Interesting - I was selling PLCs and some of my customers asked me to do programs for them. That is how I got started. Have been programming since 1987.

That’s interesting. I would like to work more with plcs just not sure how to go about it as I assume there are many different routes

Plants will have varying levels of people working on PLC's... this will depend on the plant itself, but can be a good introduction into how they work and provide exposure to PLC programs, topologies and SCADA systems.

To actually work with them, you probably would have to find a systems integrator... however, from my experience these will be small companies that may or may not treat the employees nicely. Also, there is for some reason an expectation that PLC engineers will put in overtime for free and work away from home without time off in lieu. This seems to be common between large and small companies by the way.

I would prefer to do that kind of work, but this attitude from companies completely puts me off. It may work with some people, but not with me I'm afraid.

I don't understand your question really.
Are you already a programmer looking for extra work on the side?
Or are you wanting to get into automation control and take on small jobs?

If it's the latter, don't be taking on jobs on a 'learn as you go' basis..
Not the way to go - you would soon come unstuck....or worse.

Former

@Ronnie Sullivan I would fit into the former category. How would I go about finding extra work on the side? That would be excellent for me.

Thanks.

@Ronnie Sullivan I would fit into the former category. How would I go about finding extra work on the side? That would be excellent for me.

Thanks.

Go to school and get Internships and CO-OPs, only way to start in the business. Else you won't get hired anywhere.

Two of the most important parameters are contacts and a track record.
Tell everybody you know in the manufacturing business that you're available. If your contacts aren't directly involved in automation ask them to put you in touch with the people in their facilities who are.
Put together a portfolio of projects you've worked on. Explain how you contributed to their success. Give it to everybody you talk to.

Does anyone have real world examples that’s I could work on to hone my skills. I have completed a few courses on programming but would like to get more out of it.

Thanks

Does anyone have real world examples that’s I could work on to hone my skills. I have completed a few courses on programming but would like to get more out of it.

Thanks

Examples aren't going to get you a job or a project.

If all you have are some courses and some examples then you are not qualified.

You have to do something in the real world that can be seen and used. If you don't have any project that someone would be willing let you do (for free) you have to make something for yourself. It could be anything as long as it is done with a proper PLC and it looks professional.

thanks for this,
Does anyone have any small pieces of programming that I could have a look at, to help them out, even ifs it on paper at this stage ?

Thanks

If you're already a programmer, wouldn't any local SI or small shop take you on part time? In my geographical area, you CAN NOT find any controls engineers that are unemployed. You have to hire them away from other companies to get them.

I would think it would be easy to find someone who could use the help, no?

If you're already a programmer, wouldn't any local SI or small shop take you on part time? In my geographical area, you CAN NOT find any controls engineers that are unemployed. You have to hire them away from other companies to get them.

I would think it would be easy to find someone who could use the help, no?

That's the thing, if you go online, it's all full time jobs, there are no part time gigs available. Could just be in my area though.