24Vdc Tri-state LED

ranjana

We are building a mimic panel . we have a requirement for Tri-color LEDS.
namely RED-Forward, Green-Reverse , Yellow- faulted.
I want to switch on these leds from PLC. So i would naturally use 24Vdc.

But i could not find LEDS with 24Vdc. All i could find is LED for 2.4Vdc.

Is there any LED manufacturer who has tri color led(Red, green ,yellow)for 24VDC. Also LED size we are looking for is 8mm.

Can you please post their link.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Two-colour LED's (red/green) give a yellow or amber light when both the red & green are on.

To make the LED's work on different voltages, use appropriate value current-limiting resistors. Run them on AC with diodes for reverse-bias protection.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... so I had a little time on my hands...

PLC Amp Limiting RED
P/S Output-1 Resistor LED P/S
24VDC+ -----\_/----------/\/\/\/\/--------|>|-----24VDC-
Sourcing ohms?? watts?? .7V
40mA

PLC Amp Limiting GRN
P/S Output-2 Resistor LED P/S
24VDC+ -----\_/----------/\/\/\/\/--------|>|-----24VDC-
Sourcing ohms?? watts?? .7V
40mA

. <--- (Dummy Character to keep next line from running off-screen...Phil?)
Assuming Volt Drop across the PLC Output is 0-Volt when the output turns on... what resistor do you need to keep the LED from being destroyed?

Typical LED Characteristics (your milage may vary):
  • Voltage Drop = .7 Volt
  • Amperage = 40 mA
  • Power = approx 28 mW

Voltage Drop across Resistor:
VP/S - VLED = VR

24V - .7V = 23.3V

Resistor Value
VR / IR = RR

23.3V / 40mA = 582 ohms (use the next higher standard resistor value)

Resistor Power Value
VR * IR = PR

23.3V * 40mA = 932mW = 1-Watt

COLOR CONTROL
            RED        GREEN
STATUS Output-1 Output-2 Color
none OFF OFF No-Color
Forward OFF ON GREEN
FAULT ON ON YELLOW (RED + GREEN)
Reverse ON OFF RED

Back in the day when Radio Shack was worth a flip, they sold a two lead, tri-state, 5mm LED. Which would be green when forward biased, red when reversed and yellow when an AC current is applied. This is pretty clever as far as the packaging of the LED, but having to deal with a mix of 24V AC and DC would probably be an issue.

I have used the 18mm prox type and also the larger 32mm dome. Both are more than bright enough.

I use HMI's on most all machines but sometimes when dealing with a manual operation , a simple light works best.
They are less expensive when you consider the cost of individual lights and labor to wire them.

I have not tried the stack lights yet.