Running VMs off external USB HD. Regular HD or SSD ?

Cant comment on the VM but for the cost of SSD now, there isnt ANY reason why the whole PC shouldn't run on a SSD, or to run anything else on anything but a SSD. You can get a 1TB samsung on amazon for $250.

I switched mine to all SSD about a year ago and my stress level is lower, I find myself having extra time on site to tour and shoot the ****.

If I added up all the billable time I waited on a conventional hard drive to do what the hell I told it to do it would probably be in the 25K range.

If you're not using SSD then your wasting a lot of time you could have back, it really is that big of a difference.

Thank you for that. I knew SSD were faster but this pretty much made my mind up as a must have.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't RAM a bigger concern? I would guess you need at least 16GB Ram to run a couple of VM's efficiently