Profinet update time and watchdog time

aand74

We have several Siemens drives (CU320-2 controllers) on Profinet.
The Plc is a Siemens 416 PN cpu.
What could be advised to set the Profinet update time and watchdog time of the CU320-2 modules to?
I should want to set it as fast as possible, but don't want any communication problems on the other hand.
Is there a way to see the result of my settings on f.I. the load on the network?
When will I know that my settings are critical?
Are there general rules that provide concrete setting times for update and watchdog?

In general, if you let Step 7 select the update rates automatically (the default setting), you'll get a system that will work (with a fair amount of bandwidth left over for other stuff) but is still relatively fast. Some PN devices require slower update rates for that device, but you can do that on a case by case basis. I should think that you would be able to communicate with several CU320s at 1ms without any difficulty.

One question you may need to ask yourself is if you need IRT, or just regular RT PN comms. Are you controlling position loops in the PLC, or are the loops in the drive (typical speed control or EPOS).

The PN watchdog is traditionally 3x the PN update rate. The only time I've seen this changed is when you're using MRP, then you want the watchdog time to be longer than the ring reconfiguration time to avoid errors.

If you're talking about the failsafe watchdog, then that is entirely dependant upon your process and risk assessment.

In TIA Portal, one of the HW parameters is a calculated number of what % of the bandwidth is expected to be utilized for PNIO. I'm not aware of a similar feature in Simatic Manager.