keyboard to micrologix

FriendlySteaK

Hi,
i am building a linear positioning system which requires the user to input numerical values to set the required distance. i am using a ab panelview 800 and a micrologix 1100. i only have a 4 inch screen so using the on-screen keypad from CCWs numeric entry tool requires a bit of precision and can be tricky. can't seem to get the keypad to scale up in size on the screen.
can anyone recommend the easiest way to connect either a keyboard or numerical keypad?
thanks

Thanks for the reply, for this specific application will be in a production environment and could benefit from the ease and speed of a key pad, anywhere up to four digits

how many positions? maybe easier to have push button for position A / Position B etc and then display a preset value

Another option is BCD thumbwheels linked to PLC inputs but that would be 4 inputs per digit and an accept button but i agree the HMI is best option

ab state that the usb port is not intended for customer use. i guess 'not intended' is a bit of a give away that it would work but is unsupported.
hence i have just tested two usb keyboards which work to my delight. interestingly two usb numeric keypads of different brands, one works partially and the other, no response.
i will continue testing with the keyboard. all the logic based solutions are pretty soild but the plug in keyboard is the most efficient

Thanks for the replies

Rockwell doesn't want the hassle of explaining or investigating the HID device support for every USB device a customer tries.

So I agree with your interpretation of "not for customer use". Find a USB keypad that works, run it through a few iterations of power cycles, and zip-tie or glue all the connectors in place.