How to upload old parameters to new drive PowerFlex 525

MattMatt9

So we replaced a PowerFlex 525 drive with the exact same model. I was told that once it is in and given the old IP address, you can upload the old parameters using the HIM to the new drive. How can this be done?

Ya i just saw online something called "copycat". Makes sense. My only wonder is if I can see the files I have on my HIM. All I see is an upload from drive to HIM or vice versa. But even then it show the file so maybe thats it?

PF525's don't have that feature, but you can do it with a USB cable by taking the control module off the power module and connecting to a computer, it will show up as drive with an executable file open this and do a save of parameters, it will save the file as a *.pf5, you then can connect the new control module and download the *.pf5 file to it and refit it to the power.
If your Logix controller has ADC (Automatic Device Config) turned then Logix will download the parameters to the new PF525 after you set the IP address.

Alan

The 525 doesn't have a him copycat like the 7 series.

What you can do is take the control module off the old drive and there is a USB type B connection in the back of it. Plug it into a PC and it will connect like a USB drive and have a piece of software to upload the parameters and save them as a file on your PC. You can then plug the control module of the new drive in and transfer the saved parameters to the new drive.

Say I already have the parameter set saved on the HIM and I just replaced the drive. I was told that there is a way to upload the HIM parameter set to the new drive.

Like in my scenario the control module isnt what failed. It was the VFD. We just had to upload the parameters to the VFD.

What you guys said is a good idea if a control module were to ever fail but that isnt what happened here.

If you just replaced the power module, there would be no need to change any parameters. They are saved in the control module.

To be sure we are on the same page, the 525 drive is made of two pieces. There is the power module, and then the control module. The control module is the part of the drive that has the display and I/O wiring terminals.

Last edited:
There is a copy cat function but I think it is limited to powerflex 750 series drive. Since control module has all the parameters ,if you change only the power module . You can put the old control module and the drive will require no configuration except the IP config

There is a copy cat function but I think it is limited to powerflex 750 series drive. Since control module has all the parameters ,if you change only the power module . You can put the old control module and the drive will require no configuration except the IP config

Shouldn't even need to configure the IP address. All that may be required is a power cycle if there is a minor difference between the two power modules.

To be honest I think I am getting confused with the setup of it. the 750 seems simple like there is the drive portion and HIM portion. Whereas this one is control and power. So when we replaced the VFD we got rid of the control and power module I am pretty sure. And our support for the product probably just uploaded the parameter set over ethernet?

To be honest I think I am getting confused with the setup of it. the 750 seems simple like there is the drive portion and HIM portion. Whereas this one is control and power. So when we replaced the VFD we got rid of the control and power module I am pretty sure. And our support for the product probably just uploaded the parameter set over ethernet?

Is this a vendor supplied system? If so this sounds like they are refrencing "ADC" automatic device configuration....

In the case of ADC the parameters are hosted in the PLC, when you assign an IP address to the new drive the PLC sees the new drive and recognizes that it is new and will download the parameters to it.

There is also a USB port on the back side of the module you can suck it's brains out of with a utility, then transfer the brains to a new module, or as many as you like. Can't remember what the utility is, so someone else will have to chime in.