FactoryTalk View. Able to Test Application on laptop but won't run on HMI

Good Afternoon ,

I have a FactoryTalk View application ( ME ), that I am able to "Test" Run the application on FactoryTalk View and it runs great, but when I download it to the HMI , there is no connectivity to my PLC. Why would the application run on my laptop but not the HMI ? When it ask to replace the communications , I said yes , so it will run the "Runtime Configuration" for this application that I want to run .

Thanks in advance.

In the communication setup within FactoryTalk, you will see there is a "Design" tab and a "Runtime" tab. Design sets up the comms for your PC to talk to the PLC (for testing). The Runtime sets up the comms for when the PanelView talks to the PLC. In the top right corner, you will see a "Copy from design to runtime". This will apply the comms that you have setup under design to the runtime. You probably have to do this step, make a new runtime and download it again. Of course you will need to "replace communications" again when asked.

Also, make sure that the IP address of your HMI has been set up correctly. If it's on a different subnet, or is missing a gateway address, or has the same address as your PC (or anything else on the network) it won't talk either.

But first thing to check is dmroeder's "copy from design to runtime" trick.

I have this exactly same problem but I have done the "copy from design to runtime" trick and even so it is not communicating on runtime.

Did you check the IP and the rest of the comm settings on the HMI? I have also had it happen that the only fix was to delete the design/runtime path and redo it with the same information, then download it again to the HMI. Not sure why it helps, but then again FactoryTalk is full of little quirks.

Bubba.

Last edited:
If it works on your laptop, but doesn't work on the HMI then the problem is either in the Runtime communications configuration, or the IP addressing of the terminal.

If you browse your network, can your laptop see both the PLC controller and the PanelView? You can test this from within the RS/FactoryTalk Linx Communications Setup window. If you cannot see the PanelView, then you need to go into the configuration settings on the PanelView and make sure the IP address and subnet mask are set correctly. You can typically see those settings displayed on the Configuration Menu.

If you can see both the PLC and the HMI then it is the Runtime communications setting. It is very important to remember that after you make the changes mentioned in the previous post, you must create a new runtime and download that new runtime and use the Replace Communications option. That should cause the HMI to reboot when the download completes.

I've use FTView for years and I occasionally forget to create a new runtime and I end up downloading the old runtime. Or I create it, but I download the old runtime instead of the new one. It is easy to miss a step there.

OG

I had a similar problem recently that stems from RSLinx on the development laptop not being able to recognize the PLC processor "backplane" when going online. Interestingly, it is only happening with this one processor. The solution I had to use was to manually create an offline communications path in the runtime window. Once I did that, compiled and replaced the runtime communications, it worked again.

I have checked the IP connection and I can see both PLC and HMI from my laptop.
I was not selecting the replace communication checkbox but after I did it, a fault occur during the rebooting of the HMI. I already left work but tomorrow I will post here what is the fault.
Thanks for helping me